Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Sabertooth X79, RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) BIOS settings?

I'm having problems installing either Windows 7 or Linux (any distribution) on the following hardware:

Asus Sabertooth X79 - latest BIOS release 1104
    G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) 32GB RAM
    Intel i7 3930K (C2 stepping with VT-d support)
    Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD (latest firmware)
    PNY Quadro 600 (Nvidia) video card
    WD Green 2TB hard drive
    SeaSonic Gold 660W power supply

Typically I'm able to boot Linux live USB and the system seems to work fine. But after installation on SSD and reboot, I get either file system errors on boot, file corruption errors, or after booting successfully and doing some software installation, I get segmentation faults with synaptic or other software installers.

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate displays similar errors. It installs from DVD, but wouldn't boot - showing file errors etc. The same happens when I replace the SSD with the WD hard drive, so I rule out the SSD drive.

Segmentation faults in Linux are usually tell-tale signs of memory problems. So I ran memtest86+ for 3 hours (1 pass) and it didn't show errors. I then tried memtester from within Linux, which sometimes showed errors, sometimes passed successfully (with "sometimes" meaning after I rebooted. I returned the PC to the shop and they also found memory errors during stress tests, and are currently testing each stick individually.

HOWEVER, I read in some forums that using 8 memory sticks could cause boot problems as described above, and one needs to adjust the BIOS settings to make it work. The recommendations were:

Enable XMP
    VCCSA & CPUVTT set to 1.20V

My questions:

1. What are the recommended BIOS settings for the Asus Sabertooth X79 with G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (32GB) RAM when using an Intel i7 3930K processor?
    If BIOS settings are available for other Asus X79 boards, please let me know. For example, the G.Skill website has a link to the following X.M.P. manual document next to the Asus Rampage IV Extreme on the compatibility list: https://docs.google.com/document/pub...0OU5VPe6CUoFso
    Do these settings also pertain to the other Asus X79 boards, specifically the Asus Sabertooth X79?
    It's a bit confusing.

2. The G.Skill website explicitly lists the Asus Sabertooth X79 as compatible with the RipjawsZ F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL memory pack. However, this specific memory package is not listed on the Asus Sabertooth X79 QVM list from November 2011 (the latest one available on the Asus website). Please clarify if and how G.Skill established compatibility with the Asus Sabertooth X79 board.

Your help is appreciated!

1. Yes, same, you should enable XMP, double check all the settings are input correctly by the motherboard, then boot.

2. We established compatibility by testing many memory models on that motherboard. If there are any issues, we work with ASUS to have it resolved immediately. We work closesly with them, so you don't have to worry about compatibility.

Have you tried enabling XMP? It should take care of the issues.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10842

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks!

My PC shop did activate XMP and left the rest on default. However, since they discovered memory issues, I was wandering if there are other settings that need to be adjusted.

1. So, from your answer I take that I need to use the Rampage settings:
      I. XMP
      II. Tweak Mode 1 (don't know if I got this, but will look for it)
      III. VCCSA = 1.25V

Please confirm.

2. Thanks for the explanations. Here you say that XMP itself should do the trick? Somehow I'm confused now.

Fact is that XMP alone does produce memory errors (according to my PC shop). Would the settings under 1. help fix the problems?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Give that a try and get back to us, if still problems can you post your DRAM Timings (including advanced) as well as your system voltage settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks. The PC is currently with the shop to have it checked for hardware issues. Once I get it back I will check their settings and compare.

Comment

Let me know, I'll be in and out over the weekend

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I checked with the PC repair shop. They've been running an R.S.T. (hardware-based RAM stress test) for more than a week now, testing each individual DIMM as well as all 8 installed. Each DIMM tests fine, but when they are all installed there are errors.

They managed to reduce the number of errors from over 60 errors down to 18 errors which appear usually only after around 17-18 hours, by tweaking the voltages to 1.65V and 1.25V respectively.

Their opinion is that the RAM, that is each DIMM on its own, is fine but when all 8 DIMMs are installed the system is not stable. They suggest to replace the RAM for another kind, or use 4x 8GB DIMMs and not use all slots.

Before doing so, I like to get your advise.

Are you familiar with the R.S.T. solution? Are the results reliable? They claim that this is the best memory stress test there is.

Or is there any other suggestion as to the BIOS settings?

Or, would it be save to use the PC under normal usage as I don't intend to run stress tests just for the fun of it? The shop guy said that given the test results I would have to expect errors from time to time, which I really don't want. I want a stable system.

Some other remarks:
              XMP is enabled
              The DIMMs run on 1600MHz
              No overclocking
              Cooling and temperatures are fine
              My SeaSonic 670W Gold power supply is deemed sufficient, especially since I don't use any components that drain high power (the PNY Quadro 600 doesn't even need or have an extra power header)

What do you suggest?

Comment

Me, I'd stay away from it, used it in the past, but is primarily for older systems, I haven't used it in a long time, see this URL:

http://www.uxd.com/rst.shtml

I'd get the system back from them and work it yourself, not sure what they are doing.

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I checked with the repair shop - they are using the latest RST Pro 2 or 3 that supposedly supports these memories.

However, based on the recommendations from G.Skill, they will run AIDA64 Pro to see if it produces errors. The technician didn't like AIDA since it doesn't give much options on setting the memory test - only the block size. He said that with smaller block sizes the memory test would only run on a fraction of the memory. He once chose 2G for block size which then used the entire memory. Any suggestions on using the AIDA test suite and what settings to specify?

Comment

Not offhand, don't use it often, don't use RST at all might just try loading Win or Linux with only 1 or 2 sticks just to see what happens, I know with some hardware combos Win doesn't want to load with large amounts of DRAM, then once Win is loaded can add the other DRAM. Also might try running Memtest on each stick individually (maybe 5 passes), which could narrow down a problem stick

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      Not offhand, don't use it often, don't use RST at all might just try loading Win or Linux with only 1 or 2 sticks just to see what happens, I know with some hardware combos Win doesn't want to load with large amounts of DRAM, then once Win is loaded can add the other DRAM. Also might try running Memtest on each stick individually (maybe 5 passes), which could narrow down a problem stick
                      They already checked each DIMM individually and all 8 DIMMs passed several runs of the test.

They managed to install Win7 (after turning on XMP and tuning the voltages) and it boots and works. While they managed to reduce the number of memory errors, they don't go away entirely.

Today I checked again with them. They ran AIDA64 and it failed. They also ran the latest version of Prime95 and it reported a hardware error.

It is their opinion that the memory doesn't match the board/CPU configuration and they suggest to replace the memory for a different kind (at a higher cost). In their opinion they tried everything and though they succeeded in reducing the number of errors from above 60 down to 18, which showed up only after around 17 hours of stress test, they suggest to replace the memory altogether.

I left the PC with them so I could get your advice before I decide on switching memory or giving it a try on my own. I am not really keen on running tests and tweaking memory settings unless there is a good chance to solve this issue.

To summarize the results:
                      1. Each individual DIMM passes the memory and stress tests without issues.
                      2. Enabling XMP and tuning VCCSA solved the Win7 installation problem and helped reduce the memory errors during stress / memory tests, but they don't disappear entirely.
                      3. Running either AIDA64 or Prime95 fails on 32GB memory.

I need to decide if I want to replace the memory for a different and more expensive brand or if I take the PC back and try to solve it on my own (with your help, perhaps). If I replace the memory they would test the PC to make sure it works. This could also rule out motherboard or CPU related issues since if another memory brand works then its most likely a memory issue.

What would you suggest?

Comment

I just noticed that Asus issued a new BIOS software version 1203. It's supposed to improve memory compatibility and system stability. I guess it might be worth giving it a try.

Comment

Keep in mind, I'm a member in the forums, not GSkill, but I've been in the systems arena for over 30 years and from what I've heard from you, I wouldn't have a lot of faith in your shop of choice. Doesn't sound like they tried other sticks on your combo, didn't try your sticks on another combo, haven't been in touch w/ Asus (if they had they prob could have gotten that new BIOS (released 2 days ago on the 13th) about 4 or more days ago. They didn't try to load a system with less DRAM (i.e. 8 even 16GB), testing all the DRAM at once (which can be problematic in of itself) and can't isolate problems to a particular stick or sticks....and in particular just now getting around to playing with the VCCSA which is a common problem with large amounts of DRAM...just seems like they are passing on basic troubleshooting items.....I'd take it home and try the new BIOS then give us a shout...no problems w/ Memtest, runs fine at 1600....would bet you'll find that the advanced timings under the new BIOS are different and that may well have been the biggest problem...if in fact there was a problem.

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman!! I really appreciate your time and effort.

I had another talk with the shop guys yesterday, just to verify some things.

1. They did adjust the basic settings such as XMP in the beginning.
                            2. They also tested a Kingston 16GB memory kit and it worked fine.
                            3. They did not try using only 16GB of the G.Skill memory, they did, however, test each DIMM successfully.
                            4. They haven't been in touch with Asus, nor have they tried the memory on a different board.

Upon my suggestion they installed the latest BIOS and are running tests over the weekend.

I tend to agree with you, and will take the PC back after the weekend.

Comment

Keep us informed, will be interested in their results, this is one where I'd love to get my hands on it for even 30 minutes, but that would take a nice long trip.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X