Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange issues after months of stability (MSI motherboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issues after months of stability (MSI motherboard)

Repost from the MSI forums, figured posting in two places wouldn't hurt!

Just yesterday I had gone down stairs to work on something and left my computer on. I came back, and the screen was black. I figured that it was just sleeping, but when I tried to wake it by hitting the space bar, it wouldn't respond. I held down the power button to shut it off, and when I rebooted, it went into an endless boot cycle. I went into BIOS, but no settings had changed, so I saved and exited. The machine booted into windows after this.

Mystified, I rebooted the computer. Now when it boots, the black screen comes up, and in the lower right hand corner the number 98 shows, then vanishes. Then A3 appears, and then vanishes, and the machine stays stuck with a flashing cursor in the upper left of the screen. I can get absolutely no response from the computer at this point, and trying to get into BIOS results in failure.

The only time I can get any change from the system is: A. When I unplug the keyboard and boot, and then the code on the lower right of the screen changes to B4, and stays during the hang. B. When I swap the memory around, to force the "Hardware configuration has changed!" message. This comes up, and it asks if I would like to enter setup (BIOS), or continue normally. I hit F1 to enter setup, and the machine goes straight to the flashing cursor hang and stays there.

I have tried - Resetting CMOS (via button on the IO panel), resetting CMOS via removal of the battery, changing the memory slots around, trying to boot with a Windows disk in the drive, re-seating the memory, re-seating the video card, and have also tried swapping the Sata ports around (HD in slot 1, etc).

I just made an account for this post because this has happened to me once before. When I first got the computer this April, it worked for about a month, and then I brought it to a friends house for a LAN. When I brought it home, I had the same issue. I ended up RMAing the board, receiving a replacement, and moving on. This time, I went to another LAN, brought it home, and gamed for a solid day, after which the error came back.

I am REALLY mystified at this point, and was hoping someone here could help me resolve the issue!

MSI G45 (b3) Mobo
    Intel 2500K
    G.skill ripjaws F3-12800CL8D (4 gig)
    MSI 560gtx Ti
    Silverstone 600 watt powersupply
    WD 500gb Caviar Black HD
    Basic Lite-On DVD Reader

Toxic, just from the description you have gave I would try to boot into safe mode and see if it allows you. The black screen starting after post may be a windows driver error hanging the system. I'm not sure what the number on the screen may mean I have never seen this myself. Moving from one location to another may have knocked something loose or installed a driver for your party. If it isnt doing anything after post then I have no idea what it could be. I see this was a repost from MSI forum but maybe call MSI and see what they say. Sorry I couldnt help anymore than this. Also I googled "98 on screen MSI" and found this http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?ac...topic=149158.0 not sure if it will help but good luck.
    Asus M4A785T-M
    AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
    Corsair H60 Watercooler
    8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
    Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
    2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
    500GB Seagate Storage
    1.5TB Seagate Storage
    2.0TB Seagate Storage
    BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
    PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
    Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Many possibles, might be a result in a change in hardware, keyboard, USB device, wireless or ethernet driver....could be a PSU going bad or possibly a power connector that got loose, and after being at a LAN party may have picked up a virus, trojan, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Resolved it finally yesterday, I unplugged the hard drive and CD drive to force a response, and the MSI screen finally showed, allowing me into BIOS. From there, I flashed the BIOS to the newest version and it booted. I'm fairly certain that the problem was a compatibility issue with my memory, and the new BIOS had a few improvements in that area.

Comment

Congrats glad you figured it out. Happy gaming.
          Asus M4A785T-M
          AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
          Corsair H60 Watercooler
          8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
          Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
          2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
          500GB Seagate Storage
          1.5TB Seagate Storage
          2.0TB Seagate Storage
          BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
          PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
          Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Glad the problems resolved, getting the fix in made for a good Xmas present I hope! Although it's sorta like have to put a bicycle together on Xmas day, a bit of a pain.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X