Memory timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory timing question

Hi there. I have overclocked my i7-950 on a ASUS RAMPAGE III EXTREME board. I only wanted a moderate perfomance boost so i shot for and obtained just a tad over 3600mhz.
    My question is to do with memory timing.
    I have 6GB of DDR3 ram (DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) 3X2GB sticks. I kept my BCLK down and stuck with a 23 multi. because this gave me a choice of just under 1600mhz on my ram. (On this board the ram freq. is tied to the BCLK on the cpu then you get a multiple choice of freq. from a pop-up list). When it comes to setting the ram timing i get to select my tCL, tRCD & tRP but when i want to select the tRAS, i get another pop-up list of multiple choices from very low to '17' The timing specified by G. SKILL is 9-9-9-24 but all i can get is 9-9-9-17.
    At this time i have set all of these values to 'Auto' and my timing is showing up as 9-9-9-24 on CPUZ with a DRAM BUS voltage of 1.5v (which i manually set per G. SKILL spec) I have put my set up through all of the Prime 95 stress tests with all passes. So my question is: Am i doing the right thing here or should i be doing something else with my timing and if so how?
    Thanks in advance from a complete noob.

You should be able to set tRAS 24... you'll need to post a picture for me to see what's going on.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm not being smart but a picture of what? I don't think i can screenshot my bios (Or can i?)

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        I'm not being smart but a picture of what? I don't think i can screenshot my bios (Or can i?)
        Digital camera, then upload the pic to a photoshop like Tinypic.com and paste the IMC code here.
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

You should be able to scroll down and see more options for ACT Time. Or use the numbers pad + button to go all the way to 24.

Command Rate should be 2N.

Is there are reason for BCLK 157? You should leave it to 133 and use the DDR3-1600 multiplier, or 160 and it can be perfectly DDR3-1600 too.

You have quite a bit of stuff changed that you don't need to, and the stuff you need to change is not. :P

I would suggest loading BIOS defaults, then enable XMP Profile under AI Overclock Tuner.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

If you have the time i'd like to know the need nots and the need tos. I read that the lower the BCLK the lower the temps.

Comment

Your correct, generally the higher you raise the BCLK it will bring temps up, you want a balance between the BCLK and the multiplier to achieve the desired freq. As GSkill Tech suggested, might want to go to BIOS defaults, then enable XMP and go from there.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That means i would be overclocking with XMP enabled?

Comment

You'd be enabling XMP to lock in the 1600 speed then if you wish to OC, can take it from there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I will do that. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X