Sniper 1.25v for overclocking 2500k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper 1.25v for overclocking 2500k

Hi I'm trying to decide between G Skill Ripjaws X 1.5v or the Snipers 1.25v. I want to get the Snipers because of their low profile heat sink, which will increase compatibility with the Silver Arrow CPU Cooler. However I'm not certain that the 1.25v is safe or recommended for overclocking. I only intend to overclock the CPU, not the RAM itself. Could anyone give me some advice? is 1.25v RAM fine for overclocking the 2500k? or should I stick to 1.5v

If you don't plan to OC the DRAM you should be fine, if you have any doubts, the Snipers also come in a 1.5 model at the same timings (and are very good, have 16GB of the 1.5 due in for a 2500K build that is suppose to arrive Wed)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately I can't find the 1.5's locally

Comment

Big thing would be to check your mobo and make sure it will support the 1.25 voltage...I know some have varied low points for voltage, i.e. some ASRock mobos don't even allow 1.5, just had one that started (the low setting allowable) was like 1.56 or so.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Big thing would be to check your mobo and make sure it will support the 1.25 voltage...I know some have varied low points for voltage, i.e. some ASRock mobos don't even allow 1.5, just had one that started (the low setting allowable) was like 1.56 or so.
          Hmm

I'm getting a Gigabyte P67A UD4, which according to the Gskill site is a qualified motherboard for the Snipers. But on the specs for the motherboard it says '4 x 1.5v DDR3' and in the Memory Support list on Gigabyte's website it doesn't list the Snipers. Having said that, it doesn't list the Ripjaws X either (only the original Ripjaws), so it could be out of date?

Comment

Gigabyte and GSkill are two separate entities, they each list compatibility as they test them, and GSkill test things as soon as they can, while Gigabyte (and other mobo makers) take their time in testing, (cuts down on support costs), so if they don't have it on their list and someone complains, they can say 'that's not on our list' and sort of blow off folks telling them to buy what THEY have tested - many of the mobo manufacturers support staffs are pretty weak when it comes to DRAM and timings/voltages/etc

Make sure the Snipers listed are the 1.25 set though, since they also have the 1.5 set (same timings, looks, etc)

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              i.e. some ASRock mobos don't even allow 1.5, just had one that started (the low setting allowable) was like 1.56 or so.
              Can you mention which Asrock's are troubled?
              I'm about to order their Z68 boards as soon as they are back in stock, and have alread bought two sets of Gskill Ripjaws X (there will be two builds).

Or is this a BIOS thing, like the MSI problem (where did that sticky go?).

Thanks

Comment

I've run into improper voltage settings an a few and have seen here on the forums where others talk of checking and finding high voltages through auto and their OC software.....On MSI, I'm not sure yet, just got a P67A-GD55 in yesterday along with a 2500K and 16GB of Snipers (the 1866 sets) and all went very well, pulled my RAID (Sniper 120 SSDs) out of the old box and they basically were plug and play after setting the BIOS to RAID, updated the MSI drivers and used it for about 5 hours last night...all looking good....then this AM......nothing but and infinite power loop....pulled components left and right....and Nada! Going to RMA and not sure if I want to try another MSI or order maybe Gigabyte or ASUS. Am thinking of the Z68s also, but would like to see more feedback on them and sort of worry about how they'll be with multiple monitors....not even sure if the on-board GPU will even work with multiples.

Tman

Comment

Again, could you mention which Asrock boards are now giving problems, the Z68 or P76, what BIOS version, etc.?

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.ph...ghlight=Asrock

Please understand, just trying to figure out my best course of action to avoid porblems.

Comment

Most issues are ironed out by now.. but if you want the best compatibility, the other motherboard company that starts with A would be best.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X