Gigabyte P67-UD4 POST Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte P67-UD4 POST Problems

I've just gotten a new SandyBridge machine and am having trouble running my Gskill ram at Spec.

Part List:
    Intel i7 2600k
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 - F6 Bios version
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    Corsair 750ax PSU

After I installed the ram I activated the Intel XMP profile to make sure the ram was running at DDR3-1600 instead of DDR3-1333 (which the mobo set as default). After I set the ram to 1600 I have trouble getting the computer to POST, it usually reboots a few times and then defaults the BIOS settings telling me it recovered from a failed overclock.

The system is stable at 1333 but not at 1600, has anyone had any similar problems with the new Gigabyte boards? I know someone else with an identical rig that has the same problem so I don't believe it to be faulty ram (likely a BIOS issue).

Another thing to note is that maybe 20% of the time it will POST at 1600 and boot into windows, the system is completely stable then, it seems to be a problem only when turning the system on.
    Last edited by snpbond; 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM.

Absolutely the same issue as you, you are not alone. My motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-UD5, Intel 2600K, G.Skill Pi Series 2133mhz CL7-10-7-27 1.65v ! When i set the XMP profile or when i set anything else in the ram menu it will not POST after i shut it down. Your memories will work at 1600Mhz but you have to re-enter the bios after it tells you that overclock failed and SAVE and EXIT again with 1600mhz settings for the memory, than it will boot at 1600Mhz. However, this whole procedure has to happen every time you boot up your system which is unacceptable and extremely frustrating !!! Otherwise if you leave everything on AUTO in the memories section it will boot up fine at 1333mhz. I think its a BIOS issue, Gigabyte better address this. i wrote on their forums but seems to me they are busy adding more functions to their crippled AWARD BIOS than to actually fix things...
    Last edited by Gurubamboo; 01-26-2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I figured it was something wrong with their BIOS but I thought someone may have found a way around it. For now Im leaving everything at Auto so it boots fine, I'll await a BIOS update that fixes this.

Comment

I've heard of some strange RAM issues with these boards. they're finnicky and hopefully gigabyte fixes the bios. I would stick to certified RAM.

I had nothing but problems getting my old mushkin stuff to run at even 1600 when it was rated for 2000. When i bought my G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133, it was super easy... enable XMP profile, bam! instant 2133MHz rock stable.

so right now it's a mixed bag I think. some ram works great some causes incompatibilities which cause POST problems.

Edit: I have a P67A-UD4 btw, and CPU stable at 4.9GHz
        CPU: i7 4790K
        Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
        RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

My system is all stable X.M.P with 2133mhz CL7-10-7-27, 4.9 ghz CPU all day long. Do not confuse yourself, our problem is only regarding the boot up when system has been shut down.

The problem is that when i shut down, it will not boot up with these settings - CLOCK FAILED. So i have to go in bios and set it again and again everytime i boot up. The mobo boots up with CPU at 4.9 Ghz but it returns the memory back to 1333mhz. That's a mobo problem.

@snpbond, do you happen to have a PCI card - like sound card or Tv tuner on the PCI slot ? Cause i have noticed on a numerous occasions when people complain of memory not booting up properly at SPEC, it is when they have a PCI card like me...
          Last edited by Gurubamboo; 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I've heard of problems like that, also on accasion problems w/ USB 3 enabled causing DRAM problems

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Nope no PCI card, just the video card.

Usb3 is enabled, I could try disabling that but the nature of the problem makes me think its just a problem inherit with the BIOS, Gurubamboo hit the nail on the head when he mentioned complete stability if you get it to boot into windows.

Comment

I was going to exchange my memories for memories like yours, but now there is just no use. It seems to be some kind of widespread problem with memories more than 1333mhz. I have sent Gigabyte tech support some messages i hope they do something about it. It would help if G.Skill can test a Gigabyte P67A mobo of theirs.

ps: For comparison, look what BIOS changes ASUS is making in their latest beta:

- Fixed Memory ratio sometimes not changing bug
                - Fixed XMP + OC Load profile bug
                - Adds Memory Bandwidth Turbo for performance improvement
                - Fixed Wrong Target CPU Speed shown after Clear CMOS
                1. Enhance support for high performance DRAM
                2. Improve XMP module compatibility
                3. Adds new option Memory Bandwidth Booster for better DRAM performance
                4. Fix BIOS may show incorrect Target CPU Speed shown after Clear CMOS"
                That's exactly what we need from a latest Gigabyte BIOS, not 3TB support...
                Last edited by Gurubamboo; 01-27-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Amen to that.

My problem is more to do with stability than getting past post, but I have to either uninstall the Intel graphics driver or run my RAM at CAS 9 instead of its rated CAS 7 to get my computer not to crash every few hours. Interesting about the USB 3 - maybe I'll try disabling that since I'm not using it anyway.

I tried e-mailing Gigabyte support.... no response after 3 days.... they must be swamped.

I have the H67A-UD3H and a 2500k by the way.

Comment

you can try some of gigabyte's beta BIOS here to see if maybe they fixed some of the issues. they seem to be releasing betas very rapidly.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...test-bios.html

try at your own risk of course. if all else fails it can still boot from the backup BIOS though.
                    CPU: i7 4790K
                    Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
                    RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

BIOS updates will be coming fast and furious on the P67 till they get things settled down

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X