Problem with mem dump on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with mem dump on startup

So I've put together a pretty sweet rig and I'm having some issues with a memory dump on startup. Here's the config basics:

-Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    -AMD 965 BE
    -Nvidia 470 superclock EVGA
    -8gb (2gb x 4) Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (1600 @ 9-9-9-24)
    -Crucial C300 SSD

At first I had an issue where it would only recognize the first 3 cores of the processor, switching (in the bios) to manually activate solved that. No idea why it wouldn't detect... Then I snapped in the 8 pretty gigs of RAM and proceeded to repeat a blue screen mem dump on several attempts.

I did what I saw suggested in the forum which was to manually force the bios to set to: "DRAM Frequency DDR3-1600, DRAM Timings tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2, DRAM Voltage 1.50V". It seemed to have no affect, continuing to mem dump on startup. I pulled 2 sticks of ram and the problem stopped. I switched the 2 sticks out to test the other 2 sticks, no issue with those either. I put them all back in and I'm back to a mem dump.

I have the latest bios flash. I could really use some help to figure out how to utilize the 8gb of RAM that I have. The whole point of buying this MB, CPU, video card and RAM was to do some decent overclocking. Any help would be....helpful

Mem Dump

I've seen this before Going through other Threads on other forums.
    Most people point to 4 Problems that could be happening.
    1. You have 2 Sets of Ram that did not come in total set of 4..
    Such as purchased 2 sets of 4Gb's of Ram instead of 1 set of 8Gb
    Meaning the timings on 1 set are just to off that the board as a problem
    This can easily be resolved by lowering the 1600mhz ram down to Auto and setting the cas to auto if this doesn't resolve then move on.

2. Another problem i've seen on forums is that your bios is switching to Ganged mode or Unganged mode and Causing this issue. Just so happens that my board Auto Determines Unganged mode I had to manually switch it to Ganged Mode.
    Some Board/memory Configs are Finicky about this.

3. Highly Unusual and normally tested straight up is that the DDR3,4 socket slots are damaged some how. Most people check the memory with all 4 slots and determine that all 4 slots work some forget this step.

4. I've see this before 1 of the 4 stix of ram you have is defective in some way causing the Dumps...
    You can determine this by running only 1 stick and doing a Memtest86 on it.
    until it is found.

5. Might try booting the computer with only Hard drive connected and nothing else and seeing if the dump is coming from Initialization of another SubSystem/hardware

Comment

Thank you for your response. I'm a bit disappointed that the ram is so fickle and certainly will avoid G.Skill in the future. I did purchase 2x 4gig sets of identical ram, never hearing or reading that doing so was ill-advised. I've seen quite a few people with problems of this sort on these forums...and I'm sorely disappointed that I've eeeked past the 30-day return policy that Newegg provided. Otherwise, this would be a quick, no-brainer return.

I will spend my Saturday and go through the processes you outlined. If things don't turn around, these sticks will make an eBay appearance. So much for finding memory that I could push to their limits...

Comment

Four above standard (DDR3-1333) modules will not work together without setting memory controller voltage on ANY system. 99% of the time, THIS is the problem. This is especially true for AMDs where even two modules may have a problem. I'm not sure what threads you are getting that information from and how you are forming the ideas, but you missed out on the main one. Any 8GB of memory will not work at DDR3-1600 because the memory controller is not made for that; don't forget DDR3-1333 is the suggested MAX, with 2 modules.

So save yourself some time and raise the CPU-NB Voltage (memory controller) +0.1V and that should stabilize your system. Next time get an official answer before resulting at "quick, no-brainer" decisions.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X