Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI and G.Skill-modules

Hi,

I'm in the middle of planning a new computer ...

The new mainboard may be the MSI P55-GD65 with a i7-860 or 870.
    I like to use two 4 GB modules in dual channel mode.

1. On Skill product site for the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL I found the MSI P55-GD65 being listed. On the MSI-homepage I don't found this module. Does G.Skill had tested all the mainboards listed for a memory module?

2. Timing 9-9-9-24-2N, does the '2N' stand for the command rate? 2T for 4 memory modules (= 16 GB) and 1T for 2 modules (= 8 GB)?

Thanks for your answers
    Juergen

Yes, we have tested specifically on that motherboard which is why it is listed. Apparently MSI has not tested our memory with their motherboard, which is why it is not listed on their QVL.

2N is command rate. Not all motherboards can operate 1T, which is why we rate them at 2N.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

If I were you????

Originally posted by k7photo View Post
      Hi,

I'm in the middle of planning a new computer ...

The new mainboard may be the MSI P55-GD65 with a i7-860 or 870.
      I like to use two 4 GB modules in dual channel mode.

1. On Skill product site for the F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL I found the MSI P55-GD65 being listed. On the MSI-homepage I don't found this module. Does G.Skill had tested all the mainboards listed for a memory module?

2. Timing 9-9-9-24-2N, does the '2N' stand for the command rate? 2T for 4 memory modules (= 16 GB) and 1T for 2 modules (= 8 GB)?

Thanks for your answers
      Juergen
      Hi Sorry this is not for your answer.

I have MSI P55-GD65 and F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD (2GB x 2, 4GB Total), and I have DOBS since I install Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I do not have solution yet and no support either.
      Think twice.... and make sure it works before you buy it.

Good Luck

Comment

English is a foreign language for me and I don't know what "DOBS" means ...
        I ordered mainboard and memory at the same dealer and can give back the parts within 14 days.

Which timing parameters does your BIOS have for the memory?

Comment

DOBS means "Death of Blue Screen" There are thousands of reason getting DOBS, but my case is the rams. Default Timing setup (without OC) is 9-9-9-24- 2N by MB., I got DOBS while installing Win7.
          Also, I set up as 9-9-9-27-2N with 1.65v, VTT 1.3V and up, but all failed. I setup without any OC, and Fail-Safe mode, but failed too. Even Down-Clock them, failed again.
          So, I am returning the rams for RMA today.
          When I contacted MSI for Tech Support, they did not find any problem for the board.

Good Luck

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. CPU VTT should be set to 1.50V. Post pictures of the BIOS and I can see what you may have set incorrectly.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I assembled my MSI P55-GD65 at the weekend with i7-870 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL and do have also problems. At the moment I will not post all details because I get the mainboard (last week = March!) with the 1.6 BIOS from December 2009 so I will update at first.

Only one thing - I tried to use the OC-Genie-function of the board to overclock the system and got these parameters:

- CPU Frequency 3591 MHz
              - Memory 9-9-9-24 1T at 1512 MHz
              - CPU Voltage 1.420 V
              - CPU VTT 1.318 V
              - DRAM Voltage 1.716 V

I think, the DRAM Voltage is much to high, isn't it???

Bye
              Juergen

Comment

Yes, should be at 1.50V. OC Genie will not work, please enter manual settings.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Yesterday I updated BIOS to V 1.70.
                  With 9-9-9-24 and 2T at 1600 MHz and CPU VTT = 1.499 V my computer doen't boot!

With 7-8-7-24 and 1T at 1333 MHz and all Voltages = 'auto' I can run Memtest86 V4 several times without any errors (7-7-7-24 produces a lot of errors).
                  And Windows 7 is starting, but using Prime95 comes up with rounding errors after ca. 2 hours - don't know why at the moment ... all cores of my i7-870 are at 100% load with a temperture of max. 70 degrees, so they are not to hot.

Bye
                  Juergen

Comment

did you overclock the CPU?
                    please try to set the CPU frequecy to default value first
                    thanks

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                      did you overclock the CPU?
                      No, I only overclocked the DRAM.

Another question: 9-9-9-24 and 2T @1600 MHz (if it would works) or 7-8-7-24 and 1T @ 1333 Mhz --- how big is the difference in RAM speed?

Comment

This may help, it finally helped me :-))

I am using an i5 750 @ 3910MHz plus MSI GD65 plus 2x 4GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH @ 1955MHz - all stable, no Bluescreens w/memory_management error anymore

Here are my values/settings:
                        BETA Bios 1.82 = excellent, download from MSI Forum
                        CPU BCLK = 195 // CPU Ratio 20
                        DRAM timings = manual 9-9-9-25 2T, "AUTO" sets them to 3T
                        Memory Ratio = 5
                        QPI = 18
                        CPU = 1,445V
                        VTT = 1,298V
                        DRAM = 1,65V

L1 cache = 130342 MB/s
                        L2 cache = 51451 MB/S
                        L3 cache = 35874 MB/s

MEMTEST86+ = went fine, 6hrs. of Prime95 = went fine too

I guess I finally got my babe working smooth Hope this helps you too.

Comment

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 is essentially the same as DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24. But 1T at DDR3-1333 would probably give it the advantage.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Originally posted by k7photo View Post
                          No, I only overclocked the DRAM.

Another question: 9-9-9-24 and 2T @1600 MHz (if it would works) or 7-8-7-24 and 1T @ 1333 Mhz --- how big is the difference in RAM speed?

Comment

Originally posted by RN_Rico View Post
                            L1 cache = 130342 MB/s
                            L2 cache = 51451 MB/S
                            L3 cache = 35874 MB/s
                            Thanks - the L1, L2, L3 is inside the CPU - so your data only shows how fast your i5 is running.
                            Another interesting thing is the programm your got the data from: SiSoftSandra and Everest are giving me values that are different than day and night!

CPU = 1,445V
                            VTT = 1,298V
                            DRAM = 1,65V
                            In the datasheet for the i7 I found a chapter "Processor Absolute Minimum and Maximum Ratings":
                            VCC = 1,55 V
                            VTT = 1,21 V

So you exceed the VTT-Voltage - not so heavily like the sugestion from GSKILL to raise it to 1,5 V, but you exceed the limit.

MEMTEST86+ = went fine, 6hrs. of Prime95 = went fine too
                            At first I had crashes in Prime95 (the 64bit version) that comes up after 1 hour up to 16 hours! After raising the VTT to 1.15 V (1.04 V before) Prime95 is stable for over 24 hours. Also Memtest86+ and IntelBurnTest.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 is essentially the same as DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24. But 1T at DDR3-1333 would probably give it the advantage.
                              Thanks.

I decided to keep the modules even if they don't work at 1600 MHz - the reason is the fact that 1333MHz-modules from competitors are not really cheaper.

Now I raise the BCLK only a little bit from 133 MHz to 138 MHz and set the memory to a timing of 7-8-7-24 and 1T at 1380 MHz. Important is to change VTT from "auto" (1,04 V on MSI GD65) to 1,15 V - now several test-programms are running stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X