Two F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK on EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK on EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI

model of the motherboard: 132-CK-NF79-A1 - EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel
    model of the memory: F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK x 2 (4 sticks, 8gb total)
    model of the CPU: BX80569Q9550 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W

My new system won't run with four sticks but runs fine with just two. I did the install and set up with only two sticks and once I was done installing everything, I put the full four sticks in. The main board sometimes gets past post but never any further than that and immediately blue screens. I increased the voltage of the memory to 1.65v (up from the default of 1.5v) and the system now boots and loads windows but any time I try and do any activity that takes memory, it immediately faults and goes to blue screen.

It seemed that simply upping the voltage help a lot but I don't know if there are other voltages that need to be adjusted as well to get it more stable. I was wondering if you have any advice for recommended bios settings for that main board and memory using four sticks.

Thanks

try to add fsb voltage
    thanks

G.S

Comment

I moved FSB up to 1.35v in .05v increments all the way from the default of 1.10v and I am still experiencing periodic crashes. I am not sure how much further I should go past 1.35v as I would be moving outside of the manufacture recommendations to increase it any more. I also sent the same question to the EVGA support group and there response is as follows.

"The timing memory's provided by your memory manufacture is only certified for two sticks. Running 4 at those timings will create system instability. I would strongly urge you to contact gskill for what would the proper timings be for a 4 stick configuration on a 790i chipset.

We first suggest losing the timings on the memory and incrementally increasing the nforce SPP and the memory voltage. Let us know if you need further assistance."

Are these the appropriate steps to take now that incrementing the FSB voltage has had no effect? What would the timings be for a 4 stick configuration?
      Last edited by jesseh2121; 11-29-2008, 10:21 PM.

Comment

we don't have special timing setting for running 4 sticks
        and DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24 is already the standard timing
        both memory and motherboard could be the reason, 'coz memory controller is included in the chipset

G.S

Comment

So I am not sure where that leaves me. Because your original recomendation had no effect, are you recomending I RMA the RAM, the main board, or both? Or are you suggesting that I continue to play with the BIOS settings?

I don't know what I should do from here.

Comment

try to see if there is still problem when only installing 2 sticks
            if this works, then it might be the problem of memory controller
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
            X