Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL + ASUS M5A97 R2.0 + AMD FX-8350 - Random monitor no signal boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL + ASUS M5A97 R2.0 + AMD FX-8350 - Random monitor no signal boot

Hello,

My noticeable issue is that my monitor seemingly randomly receives no signal from my graphics card on some boots.

Additionally, I think a related problem is that after I put my PC in sleep mode (while working normally in Windows) it does not wake/resume correctly and similarly my monitor receives no signal from my graphics card.

In order to get into Windows in the above cases I have to press the reset button on my PC case, sometimes several times, before my monitor receives a signal.

I have been in touch with ASUS technical support as I considered it a motherboard issue at first. The ASUS Representative told me my RAM isn't on the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) and therefore compatibility issues may be causing the symptoms I am experiencing.

I have created this post on this G.Skill forum for help in configuring my BIOS to better support the RAM I have.

I am new to overclocking and underclocking. Would configuring my setup for DDR3-1600 be a good starting point?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.

My setup:
    CPU AMD FX-8350 4GHz
    GPU Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X
    Mobo Asus M5A97 R2.0
    RAM G.Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL)
    SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    HDD Several SATA Drives
    PSU EVGA Supernova 750W
    Mon ASUS VE278H

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

For DRAM at 1600, you can try 9-9-9-24 1.50V

Though this particular issue I'm not too certain it is a memory issue.

Comment

I would like to provide an update. I tried the DDR3-1600 guide in http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688.

I set the following, all in Manual mode (not Auto nor DOCP):
      • DRAM frequency to DDR3-1600
      • CPU-NB frequency to 2400 MHz
      • HT Link frequency to 2400 MHz
      • Timings to tCL 11 - tRCD 11 - tRP 11 - tRAS 28 (these are the SPD timings reported by my BIOS and CPU-Z for DDR3-1600)
      • DRAM voltage to 1.6 V (up from 1.5 V)
      • CPU-NB voltage to 1.2 V (up from 1.1 V)

However, I still experience the same issues I mentioned in my first post.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH
      Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
      Yes, version 2603 as reported on the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 product page.

Thank you, I shall try these settings and report back.

Though this particular issue I'm not too certain it is a memory issue.
      I would like to believe the memory is good. How can I test my DRAM to the degree of a G.Skill qualification test using software tools?

My motherboard has a DRAM compatibility/tuning feature where at power on it tests the DRAM and blinks an LED beside the sockets. I suspect this could be causing problems.

Comment

I have tried these settings and still have the same problems I reported in my first post. I tested the sleep-wake/resume issue, and my PC exhibits the same symptoms.

Comment

Hello coydeco.
          Windows 10?
          My memories are the G. Skill F3-2400C10D for more than a month, and apart from a problem with the games at the beginning of installing them that finally turned out to be the culprit the AMD drivers, I have had no problems with the memories. So I don't think they're responsible for problems like yours right now.
          I'm having very similar symptoms on my Windows 10 PC.
          When booting the Asus logo comes out and after passing the BIOS test, it takes more than a minute and a half to start loading Windows. Sometimes the screen is blacked out during this time interval, but the operating system is usually loaded after it.
          Do not use the sleep function, because when you wake up the computer, the screen goes black for a minute and then resets itself, or does not reset and remains so until I press the reset button (this is bad for the system software).
          But all this started just after a Windows update about a couple of weeks ago, namely the KB4051963. Before that everything was working, but just after updating, problems began, which by the way, persist even after the last of this second Tuesday of the month. It also doesn't work to uninstall updates.
          So I don't think it has anything to do with the memories, but the latest Windows updates.
          We have to wait for Microsoft to fix the problem. Patience.
          Sorry for my english.
          Windows 10 Pro
          ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER
          Intel i5-4460
          F3-2400C10D-16GTX
          MSI RX 480 8 Gb. Gaming X

Comment

Originally posted by amsterdamn
            Hello coydeco.
            Windows 10?
            My memories are the G. Skill F3-2400C10D for more than a month, and apart from a problem with the games at the beginning of installing them that finally turned out to be the culprit the AMD drivers, I have had no problems with the memories. So I don't think they're responsible for problems like yours right now.
            I'm having very similar symptoms on my Windows 10 PC.
            Hello amsterdamn, I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I have been experiencing the issues I described in my first post for a while - nearly two years. I believe it is a hardware related problem.

Comment

Originally posted by coydeco View Post
              Hello amsterdamn, I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I have been experiencing the issues I described in my first post for a while - nearly two years. I believe it is a hardware related problem.
              Hello coydeco. I didn't know you've been having these problems for almost two years. In that case, you're right. It has to be a hardware problem. Good luck, I hope you find the cause of the problem soon.

Comment

If you feel it is a problem with RAM, feel free to send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Comment

Apologies for the delayed update. I replaced my graphics card with a spare one. The spare does not require independent power from the PSU (it's fully powered by the PCI-E slot on the motherboard).

I have been running my PC with the spare card for about a month now, and I experience some new issues (which I believe are due to obsolete drivers, as the card isn't supported anymore). However, I do occasionally experience the same symptoms I described in my first post.

This gives me confidence that my graphics card is not causing the issue.

Comment

I have an update.

I managed to find some Corsair RAM (8GB [2x4GB] DDR3-1600) that appears on the Asus M5A97 R2.0 Qualified Vendor List (QVL). I removed my G.Skill RAM and installed the Corsair RAM.

Sadly I still have the same issues I reported in my first post.

Good news is that my G.Skill RAM is not causing the issues, and it's more likely to be my motherboard. I appreciate the advice so far - thank you G.Skill.

Any ideas on what hardware changes I could trial and error?

Comment

Did you check your sleep/hibernate settings in BIOS? You say the issue only occurs on boot up up when recovering from sleep mode?

Have you tried to load optimized defaults in BIOS to see how it works?

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                        Did you check your sleep/hibernate settings in BIOS?
                        Yes, I had a look at these settings in BIOS. I have tried several different combinations that seemed sensible and always repeat the sleep-wake problem. The boot up issue is still too random.

You say the issue only occurs on boot up up when recovering from sleep mode?
                        Yes that's correct.

Have you tried to load optimized defaults in BIOS to see how it works?
                        Yes, I tried clearing CMOS and using defaults. Everything was set to auto. The sleep-wake problem still persists.

Comment

Working...
                        X