Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a set of F3-2400C9D-8GTXD

Hello,

I purchased my first set of F3-2400C9D-8GTXD in Nov. 2012 for a new build, and they've been running flawlessly since they've been installed (at stock timings & voltages[almost, 1.66VRAM, 1.05VCCSA]... XMP2 settings, everything auto except using 1T instead of 2T). I've even had luck running them at 3000MHz with relaxed timings and increased voltages, but nothing matched the latency/throughput at 2400 with CAS9, so I just left them there. I purchased another set for my brother in Apr. 2013 for my brother when we built a new system for him, with the intention of combining the two when we upgraded to 16GB on both systems (even if that meant relaxing the timings a bit from a mismatch).

Well, that day finally came, and I bought a set of F3-2400C10D-16GTX for him, and those work fine on both systems. I was getting memtest errors when I installed the 4x4GB into my system though, and I've narrowed it down to a single stick from his set.

So, I asked my brother if he's had any problems with crashing or blue screens, and he said no blue screens, but games and movies would crash to desktop every now and then. He couldn't say when that started though. I ran both a memtest 8hr and a prime95 24hr mixed test (full RAM) when they were installed, so I know they were good then.

Memtest86 (and 86+) gives single bit errors in the first 512MB of one of the sticks on the 32-bit inversion and block move tests with every run. I've let the tests run on the remaining 512M-4GB overnight (8 hrs), and they don't throw any errors. I also ran 8 hrs on the other stick in this set, and that also had no errors. I've tried both sticks individually in all 4 slots on my motherboard, and all test results were repeatable (first stick errors in first 512MB, second stick no errors). I've also tried relaxing the timings to 11-13-13-35-2T (manual and both XMP settings), and increasing voltages, but it still threw the same errors in the first 512MB. I've also tried cleaning out the bad stick with compressed air, and there's no apparent physical damage to the DIMM.

I'm thinking there's a single bad chip on there, but was wondering if there were any suggestions on what else I could try. I was also wondering about the ability to repair/replace these, since I haven't seen the CAS9 sets for sale for some time (another reason I bought the second set as soon as I could).

I'm going to run some tests with with one stick from my set, and the good stick from his set to see how they pair. If they match well, is it possible to RMA and match another set to the single good stick from his set? Heck, I'd be happy if you could find and replace that singe bad chip. It would be an utter shame to let these chips go to waste.

Thank You

my sys:P8Z77-V Pro, i5-3570k@4.4GHz, EVGA 1200W P2
    other sys:P8Z77-V LK, i5-3570k@stock, 650W PS
    if you need more specs or info, please let me know

The C9 kit no longer exists. Any RMA you would most likely be getting the 2400 C10 model.

Comment

Working...
    X