• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4A785TD-M EVO and F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL problem

System specs:

mb: M4A785TD-M EVO
    ram: F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    cpu: Athlon II X3 440

I have been running a set of your value ram 2x2bg dimms for the past 5 years. I recently grabbed a set of Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL as an upgrade.

I installed the modules and attempted to boot with auto timings. The system refused to post, no beep codes. I pulled one module and tried again and the system did post. I set the timings manually in the bios and tried again with 2 modules.

Again no post, no beeps. Went to one module again and it went through post and booted into memtest, went through one pass with no errors. I went back into the bios and set the clock to 400 on the dimms and tried booting with 2 again. This time the system did post. I went into the bios to raise the clock and the voltage slightly which failed. I reset to 400 and ran a memtest with both modules, error free for one pass.

I took out the one module that seemed to post at full speed and tested the second alone. Every slot at 666 the dimm refused to post.

As an experiment I re-installed the known working module along with the 2gb sticks I had been running for years. They are all rated for the same timings. The modules did post at 666 using all auto. Right now I am running one 4gb stick and my old 2gbx2 sticks without errors in memtest and no stability issues in windows. CpuZ is reporting the modules are running in dual channel mode which I found strange, as I was under the impression both channels needed the same amount of ram to run in that config.

Is there anything else I can try to get this working? The system is obviously old and outdated. The upgrades are just a stop-gap measure until I can make enough cash to get a new system running. I am hesitant to overclock or overvolt any components due to their age.

One more thing I found strange: Memtest reports the memory running at 640. CpuZ reports 666.7.

Thanks

Do you have the latest BIOS?

If you feel a module is not working the same as the other, send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better:

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

DRAM Frequency 667 is correct.

667 * 2 = DDR3-1333

DDR is double data rate

Comment

Working...
    X