Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding more DDR3 RAM on an existing PC. Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding more DDR3 RAM on an existing PC. Possible?

Good day to all

On the 16th of April, 2014, in my effort to build a new PC from skratch, I placed a question regarding XMP compatibility of the Aegis F3-1600C11D-16GIS kit in a relevant thread. Well, time has passed, the PC was built and it is now working flawlessly for almost two years.

The basic configuration of the PC, as noted in my above mentioned previous thread, is the following:
    - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
    - CPU: Intel i3-4330
    - Existing (installed) RAM: 2 x G.Skill Aegis DDR3 F3-1600C11D-16GIS, 1600 MHz CL11 DIMMs, total 16 GB
    - System Disc: SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD - SDSSDHP-256G, 256 GB

However, some of my working needs have been increased and I am thinking to provide a little "boost" to this PC, by adding more RAM capacity.

My first thought is to add one more 2-DIMM kit of 8 GB total capacity, to achieve a total of 24 GB RAM. I am thinking this, as a moderate solution, to keep the cost down. The addition has, of course, to be made with a G.Skill F3-1600C11D-8GIS 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz Aegis kit, which has exactly the same specs as the installed 16 GB one.

Alternatively, I can add one more same 16 GB kit, but at a much higher cost (almost double), which I am trying to avoid.

However, there may be issues in my thinking:

Am I likely to face any incompatibility (and operational) problems, by adding two more DIMMs of the same series, but not matched with the existing ones, regardless if they are 8 or 16 GB capacity?

Your input will be highly appreciated.
    -

It is simply a possibility, but there's no way to really know unless the two specific kits are tested together.

Comment

Working...
    X