Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get to work F3-2400C10D-16GTX on Asus Maximus VII Gene + i5-4960K

Hello G-Skill tech savy people,

Here a plee for help trying to get F3-2400C10D-16GTX (2x 8Gb 2400Mhz CL10 1.65v Tridents) sticks to work in a dual channel setup on a Asus Maximus VII Gene + i5-4690K.
    I've flashed the mb's bios to the latest version (2702, 2015/05/27) and loaded default settings.
    I was running 2x 8Gb 2133Mhz CL9 1.5v sticks in the same mb before trying getting the Tridents to work, and had that setup running stable on 2400Mhz 9-10-11-26 on 1.67v so the mb and cpu can run 2x8Gb 2400Mhz sticks without problems for sure.
    System agent i set to 1.25v, and i tried feed the io-analog and digital settings a little extra as well, same for vccddr.

I can only get to work one of the Trident sticks at a time, the moment i put in 2 sticks the machine will keep on going in an endless loop trying to post, but never get there, and i have to remove one stick to be able to post. One stick at a time will post np, i can then adjust settings in bios and boot into windows on 2400Mhz just fine, but even on the default setting of 1333Mhz the machine will not post once i place the other stick as well.
    I swapped the sticks, they both work fine as a single stick setup on 2400Mhz, and i also tried using the secondary dual channel pair of memory sockets on the mb to rule out a faulty socket maybe.
    This is the 2nd set of F3-2400C10D-16GTX i am trying to get to work, both give same problem, so it's not a bad stick or set it seems.

I can't figure it out and hope i'm just overlooking something and it's not a mem+mb compatibility issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

edit: forgot to mention i tried both XMP and manual settings
    Last edited by serge; 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM.

Are you using the same color slots furthest away from the CPU?

Comment

Yeah using the red furthest slots, being 2nd and 4th from cpu.
      Also tried the black ones, being the 1st and 3rd.

Comment

The old RAM still works fine?

Doesn't make sense. Did you RMA to us or place of purchase?

Comment

Yes i am currently running the old ram at 2377Mhz cl9 (or 2400Mhz cl10) and it indeed doesn't make sense, except for those are a different brand and type of ic's maybe.
          I didn't rma any of the two sets back yet but i will soon send at least the first set back.
          The ram was ordered via two different webshops here in the Netherlands, Azerty and Alternate.

I could maybe try an older version firmware of the maximus vii gene board, the latest version i have installed is quite new, it's just short of a month out. Not sure if i'm up to more hassle though, i've spent quite some time already trying to get it to work and well the current 2133 ram (of a company not to be named on these forums?...:P ) after quite some tweaking now runs stable cl9 at 2377Mhz in memtest86 as it is, i was just hoping for some simple solution i overlooked i guess.
          Last edited by serge; 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

If possible, post some pictures with XMP enabled and I can make sure settings are correct. That motherboard, CPU, and RAM is a perfect combo so there should be no issues at all.

Comment

Placement.

2 sticks boot at default settings, then i load XMP and reboot.

The result is an infinite boot loop, then i have to remove 1 stick to be able to post and then it says overclocking failed press F1.

One stick will then boot fine (also into windows after), with the previously applied XMP settings.
              I made sure secondary and tertiary settings are on auto.
              As you can see for voltages i tried both manually beefing up things a bit and auto settings, both settings give same result, no post with 2 sticks placed.

I'm not sure if the photo links remain valid, in case not i attached a zip file as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

I also tried setting the 2nd XMP profile just now, alas a no go as well.
                While at it more i tried all possible combinations of sticks of the 2 sets i have here with same (no) result, so i'm quite sure we can rule out faulty sticks.
                Last resort i can think of myself would be downgrade the bios firmware, before i do i'd like to ask for a recommendation for a known working version with this ram, if there is any known to you at G-SKILL.
                Current version is 2702 ASUS Maximus VII Gene.

edit: proof the machine can run 2400Mhz with the 2133 sticks i got set to 2400

Last edited by serge; 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Do you have pictures of secondary timings? That's what I wanted to confirm.

VTTDDR should be half DRAM Voltage.

Other than that everything else looks good.

Comment

Bios says this.

And this is what becomes according to AIDA64 (MC0 row)

Comment

I don't see those pictures, same in post #7

Comment

Ok uploaded the pics in a zip.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ohh and the timings when windows loaded.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Bumpedeebumperdebumperdum?

Comment

Set all timings to as you see in the XMP column of AIDA 64

RAS# to RAS# Delay
                              REF Cycle Time
                              READ to PRE
                              FOUR ACT WIN
                              CAS# Write Latency

Comment

Working...
                              X