Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detecting only 4BG instead of 8GB on BIOS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting only 4BG instead of 8GB on BIOS.

Hello,

I have a computer bought in 2011 that came with F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2GB x 2) on:

Model of the motherboard: Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1 with latest BIOS 3602
    Model of the memory: F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2GB x 2)
    Model of the CPU: Intel I5-2500K @ 3,30GHz

No overclock on anything.

So yesterday I received a new pack of F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2GB x 2), installed and went to BIOS and it says only 4GB, I followed all the FAQ in GSKILL website, clear CMOS, Memory Rempa enable, XMP tried, install 1 by 1, run memtest86 with all the memory modules, run 1 by 1 and with no errors. Tried each module on each dimm and all good. CPU-Z shows 8GB and Windows shows only 4GB.

Now all the modules are good, the dimms are good what can this be? Memory is the exact same model, only the old ones say May 2011 and the new ones Dec 2013 in the shiny sticker, other than that can't find any difference. Are you able to help me? I have filled and RMA form with no feedback so far but it's not like the memories are bad.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks.
    Last edited by pdneves; 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM.

Where are you looking in Windows to see the memory size change? If you are looking at the Control Panel>System page. I've found that it doesn't always immediately update changes to the system. I overclocked my CPU from 3.3GHZ to 3.8GHZ and the system screen still showed 3.3 even though CPUZ showed it was running at 3.8. A returned to that page about a week later and it had magically updated itself. There may be a way to force the update, if you do some web surfing you may find it.

Bob

Comment

Try this.

Press CTRL ALT DEL and bring up Task Manager. Then click on the Performance Tab and see how much memory is reported there.

Bob

Comment

Hello bfollett, the memory isn't even detect in the BIOS. In Windows any place I check is always 4GB only, except in CPU-Z. Thanks.

Comment

Dont remember exacty where but in the bootmanager in windows there is a place to emter memory amount, usually its set to auto detect but itay be set to 4 gb
          ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Well but the memory isn't recognized on BIOS, first and foremost should be detected there then Windows if it doesn't it was another problem but for now starts there by not recognizing the 8GB when the POST happens.

Comment

Ah sorry was on a phone misread that, see that you've tried about everything, except update bios, that could be the key to your issue
              ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
                Ah sorry was on a phone misread that, see that you've tried about everything, except update bios, that could be the key to your issue
                Supahos, the latest memory available for my board is the 3602 which I already updated .

Comment

Send the two kits in for RMA exchange, we can send you two new kits that may match better. Or you can send in your old kit to see if a new kit we send you can match with the newer kit you purchased.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Send the two kits in for RMA exchange, we can send you two new kits that may match better. Or you can send in your old kit to see if a new kit we send you can match with the newer kit you purchased.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Hello and thank you for your feedback but I already filled an RMA and they give me some solutions to try which none of them worked, here is the email:

Dear Customer,

Please understand that XMP may not be able to function properly with two kits installed, because XMP is programmed for single kit use only.

Please clear CMOS or enter BIOS and reset to optimal defaults. Then use the following settings:
                    DRAM Frequency = 1600MHz
                    DRAM Voltage = 1.60V (or 1.65V; this may have to be increased because you’re now powering four modules instead of the original two)
                    CL Timing = 9-9-9-24
                    Command Rate = 2

Please also check that you’ve installed it in this order: [cpu][a][b][a][b], where [a] and [b] are different kits.

Then let us know if the BIOS and Task Manager shows only 4GB. CPU-Z may sometimes provide incorrect readings for capacity. Screenshots would also help us understand the situation better.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Best Regards

RMA Department

G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
                    8F No. 69 DongXing Rd., Xinyi District
                    Taipei City, 11070 Taiwan (R.O.C.)
                    +886 2 2766-7889 #861
                    http://www.gskill.us/forum/
                    Which I replied with:

Hello and thank you for your feedback and help.

After I tried your steps computer doesn't boot and the DRAM LED OK! is constantly with the light on, after I press it for 3 seconds, starts blinking and the values are set to the same as before (Auto) and only detecting 4GB in BIOS and in Windows.
                    I am attaching some screenshot from BIOS, Task Manager and from CPU-Z, so you can try to understand what is going on. I have installed 50+ modules of memory during the last year, most of them from GSKILL and never came across something like this, this is new for me.

This is my full computer specs:

PSU: CORSAIR TX-750W V2 SINGLE RAIL (CP-9020042-EU)
                    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8P67 Rev 3.1 with latest BIOS 3602
                    CPU: Intel I5-2500K @ 3.30GHZ
                    RAM: GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (2x2GB)
                    GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX560ti 1024GB
                    HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ

I thought it could be the power supply but with 750W it was impossible to be, but even so I tried a new one and got the same problem, so power isn't a problem. I have checked the CPU for damaged pins and nothing and the screws from the cooler are good nothing very tight.

Thank you very much, and I really need to solve this.

Have a good day.
                    Can post the screenshots if that help with anything, as for the RMA it's submited and waiting for either send the new memory or the old one, it's up to you guys.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X