Is my ram starting to fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my ram starting to fail?

Lately, over the past two weeks to be exact, I have been dealing with a lot of blue screens related to secondary processor interrupts not being received. I checked a lot of things and even dialed back my overclock on my processor but was still getting the blue screens when playing certain games (State of Decay was the worst offender) at random.

So I decided to test my ram tonight and I found that each stick has some errors. 48, 36, 42, 29 are the number of errors found when I tested them one by one; testing them all together there were 155. Some of the errors were strange though, like "good" 00 and "bad" 01 with addresses of all 0's. Almost all of the errors were in the 2400 to 2900 MB range as well.

Tested with MemTest86+.

Ram and MB: F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM/Asus Sabertooth X79

Are these signs that my ram is going bad?
    "I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

Its unlikely that all 4 sticks would suddenly get errors by themselves, they wouldn't all fail at the same time most likely. I assume you do have xmp enabled on the board? Try updating the bios.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
      Its unlikely that all 4 sticks would suddenly get errors by themselves, they wouldn't all fail at the same time most likely. I assume you do have xmp enabled on the board? Try updating the bios.
      Updated to the latest BIOS and redid the tests and now the errors are gone but I am still getting crashes. I think it may be one of my processor cores as during MemTest86+ there is a certain operation in Test 7 that always causes a Wait freeze on core #6 if I am running the tests parallel on all cores. Disabled cores 5 and 6 and will be testing my system stability to see what happens.

What is very odd is that the system ran through Prime95 on the max torture test for seven hours just fine last week. Temps never got above 84C. This is why I initially thought it might be the ram.

Edit:

I still think this could be a ram problem. Did a lot of testing and can my cpu through Prime95 again and got the same results. No crash over the last couple of hours. I have been able to induce crashes by starting programs that use a lot of memory such as some games, After Effects, and Sony Vegas as well as Waterfox but my computer does not crash when the memory usage remains low.

I am thinking it is either the ram itself or the connections between it and the cpu (so maybe a bad dimm or the memory controller). Going to be doing further testing and getting some new ram to determine what is going on.
      Last edited by Geowil; 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM.
      "I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

Comment

Try raising the DRAM voltage + 0.06

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X