Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIVE: Can I skip slot DIMM_D1 and use DIMM_C2 instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIVE: Can I skip slot DIMM_D1 and use DIMM_C2 instead?

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme v1.02
    Chipset: Intel Core i7-4820K
    Memory: F3-2133C11Q-32GZL quad channel 4x8GB (32GB) kit

I have a G.Skill Ripjaws Z memory question. I have a F3-2133C11Q-32GZL quad channel kit in an Asus Rampage IV Extreme 1.02 motherboard. Although slot DIMM_D1 shows the 8GB of memory in the UEFI BIOS, it only lists 24576MB of RAM. So I removed the G.Skill stick from DIMM_D2 and moved it to slot DIMM_C2. And that worked. Now I have 32GB of RAM, and I'm wondering if it's safe to run the system this way.

It's a pain to keep trying to reseat the CPU, as I'm using CoolLaboratory's MetalPad for the CPU. It's not like these foil squares come in a roll like aluminum foil. It gets expensive to keep telling people "well just reseat the CPU" when you have to order new MetalPads.

It doesn't matter to me, though: I'd just rather keep the PC with the quad channel memory in slots A1, B1, C1, & C2 as long as there are no problems. I'm not planning on ordering more than 32GB of memory.

If it works in the slots you mentioned then just let it go, as long as its running in quad channel, and stable no reason to put it anywhere else.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

A-ha! One bent pin found on socket LGA 2011

Attached is a photo with a red circle showing the one socket 2011 pin that was bent outward. I used a mechanical pencil with the led removed (the suggested method), and held the magnifying glass in my other hand.

Do any of you remember what it was like when you first attempted to bend socket 2011 pins in place? Talk about pins and needles...

So now, voila! The DIMM_D2 socket works properly now when I moved one of the four 8GB DDR3 sticks back in that red slot.

So now you know what bent pin affects slot DIMM_D2 on Rampage IV Extreme motherboards. Bend that single pin, and DIMM_D2 goes bonkers.

How many pins can be bent on a socket 2011 and have the PC still work? I don't think I want to know. I should have checked for bent socket 2011 pins first, but it was my first time using a socket 2011.
      Attached Files

Comment

Only otther method i know of is to use 2 razor blades but that is probably safer, glad it worked for ya
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Working...
        X