• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup memory issue

ASUS F2A85-M/SCM motherboard
    RipjawsX F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL; DDR3-1866-CL9-10-9-28; Running at 1866MHz
    AMD A10-6800K processor

The memory and motherboard are both specified on your web site and the Asus manual.

My problem is that when I turn on the system (cold) the motherboard RAM LED turns on (which is good), but after 5 seconds it blinks off then on again for a minute (bad), then goes off and boots normally (good). Normally, the REM LED should come on for about 5 seconds then go off and the system boots normally.

I’ve reseated them a number of times and get them to click properly in place. I’ve run Memtest86+ v5.01 and haven’t seen a single error. Also, when the system is warmed up I don’t see any problem.

I built three identical computers, and I only see this behavior in computer #3. When I swapped the RAM in computer #2 and #3 the problem moved to computer #2 and computer #3 worked fine. I then swapped the memory again and computer #2 worked fine and #3 had the problem again.

Try each stick by itself and see if one of them is bad probably the most likely scenario with the troubleshooting you've done
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
      Try each stick by itself and see if one of them is bad probably the most likely scenario with the troubleshooting you've done
      Just some questions: when you do an RMA do you only send in one stick or both? If you have to send in both then does it matter which one is bad? I was just wondering if it was a curiosity thing or if it's important for me to identify which stick is bad or it is just something that G. Skill will do anyway.

I was thinking I would have to do an RMA to get this problem resolved. I can see that since I don’t have a hard failure (I don’t see it on memtest86+) but I know there’s an issues with the memory (since I swapped it between machines and see the problem moves with the memory) that there may be an issue with the return. I’m just hoping that G. Skill won’t say they don’t see a problem and I’ll be stuck with the defective memory.

Comment

You can do it either way, can just send in one stick but they prefer the whole kit to ensure what you get back works, i guess if you dont want to bother figuring out which is bad you dont have to
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

You can do it either way, can just send in one stick but they prefer the whole kit to ensure what you get back works, i guess if you dont want to bother figuring out which is bad you dont have to
          Yeah, I figured I had to send in both sticks they'll run whatever tests to figure out the problem and it won't matter what I do. If they only want the one stick, then yeah I have to figure out the bad component.

Do you know what I have to do to return it? Also, do you know what happens if they don't find the problem?

Comment

On a phone so links are harder to copy, but go to www.gskill.com the support, and rma, they'll email you a rma number and you send it in with that number.

The proof or purchase doesnt really apply to memory as long as the warranty label is still on it but you can provide it if u wish

Comment

It is recommended to send both because they are a matched set. For optimal performance, it is best to use a single kit of RAM in the system.

It does not matter which is defective, send them in and we can send you new replacements. It is only a 'curiosity thing' on your end because we will do other testing to determine whether modules are defective.

We will send you a new kit no matter what, so you won't be stuck with defective memory. Our goal is to help get your system running at full speed.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                It is recommended to send both because they are a matched set...

We will send you a new kit no matter what, so you won't be stuck with defective memory. Our goal is to help get your system running at full speed.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH
                Great, thanks! Do I just fill out an RMA and send them back?

Comment

I just submitted the information for the RMA and referenced this thread.

Comment

They will send you a RMA number and make sure it is listed on anything you send to them. Don't ship them to Gskill before you get that number from them (hear it sometimes takes up to 3 days maybe?) or they won't know what to do with them or where to send them

Comment

They will send you a RMA number and make sure it is listed on anything you send to them. Don't ship them to Gskill before you get that number from them (hear it sometimes takes up to 3 days maybe?) or they won't know what to do with them or where to send them
                      Thanks, I'll wait for the notification!

Comment

I got the replacement RAM yesterday and tried the power on test 5 times - no issues. I then ran Memtest overnight - no errors. I shut it down and let it cool down this morning and tried the power on tests again - no problems. Looks like my problem is solved, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X