F3-1866C9Q-16GAB & Asus X79 Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1866C9Q-16GAB & Asus X79 Deluxe

Purchased F3-1866C9Q-16GAB kit for the Asus X79-Deluxe with and i7-4930K. The RAM is not stable with XMP set. Even if I set it manually I'll get random BSOD and the system will restart when I try to shut it down. I tested all four sticks with memory test86 5.1 and get allot of errors when it set on XMP. I get no errors with it set @ stock (1600ghz). I noticed this kit IS NOT on Asus QVL, but G.Skill states it will work with the X79-Deluxe.
    Did I just get some bad RAM or should I try a different kit. Really need the low profile sticks because of the cooler I'm using.

Thanks in advance.

Try nudging the Dram voltage to 1.55v and see if that helps any. Does it only blue screen when you shut down the computer? Was a bit unclear at first on that part. There isn't a reason it shouldn't work with the memory you bought, Are you sure the memory is causing the issue? I figure with that processor and a huge cooler you might have a massive OC on it? but a little voltage jump could smooth things out.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Originally posted by ski-bum View Post
      I tested all four sticks with memory test86 5.1 and get allot of errors when it set on XMP.
      Did you test them individually or all at once? CPU was at stock speed?
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
        I was running the CPU at stock and the memory set to XMP. thought everything was fine until I went to shut down the computer. Instead of it shutting down, it just restarted. Tried several times same thing. Then I rest the memory to "auto" (which set it to 1600mhz) and the computer shut down just fine. Also when set to XMP (1866mhz) it would randomly blue screen. Setting manually to 1866mhz also gets the same results. Setting to 1600mhz and it works perfectly.

I tested the memory with all four sticks with XMP set and got allot of error codes. With it set to "auto" it tested fine.
        I did bump the memory up to 1.55 and it worked "better" but after some extended use, the same problem reoccurred.

If the memory is rated at 1866mhz, shouldn't it just run at that with XMP set?
        What else could it be? The CPU, the motherboard?
        This is a new build.
        Last edited by ski-bum; 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Try one module at a time with XMP enabled to see if they all pass.

If you can, post pictures of BIOS and we can see if anything is incorrect. Make sure that all memory settings are manually input and see how that works.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

I ran the memory test for about two hours at 1.55v and didn't get any errors, but when I went to shut down the machine, it just restarted instead. I'll try one stick at a time later.
            Last edited by ski-bum; 11-04-2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

So it doesnt get any errors until you shutnit down? Seems a bit odd . ..
              ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Could it be software related? Should I do a fresh install?

Comment

Originally posted by ski-bum View Post
                  I ran the memory test for about two hours at 1.55v and didn't get any errors, but when I went to shut down the machine, it just restarted instead. I'll try one stick at a time later.
                  (on the bold part)

Where were you running memtest? it runs in "dos" before windows boots if you're running the correct program. So the only shutdown you can do is turn off the computer with the power button. Or are you saying you pulled the disk went into windows and it crashed later when you went to shut it down? (not trying to give you a hard time just trying to get an idea of the issue)

Comment

Try bumping DRAM Voltage a little and see how that works.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

FIXED IT!
                      Two different problems.
                      Memory was bad, that why I was getting error codes when running memtest. (Yes I was running it off a bootable disk) Swapped out the memory and all errors went away. Then I tried to shut down the computer and guess what? It restarted. I then did a fresh install and now everything is fine.

I think the bed memory may have corrupted my install.
                      Last edited by ski-bum; 11-06-2013, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Yes if the memory was flawed it would be very likely to cause an issue with the windows install. Glad you got it up and running. Remember you can always RMA gskill ram (lifetime warranty) and get a new set if one of them isn't up to par.

Comment

OK Problem was still occurring with this memory on this board. I tried a second set of the same ARES memory. I tried hooking up a brand new PSU. I swapped out the CPU. Nothing worked. I wasted over a month of time and a bunch of shipping expense. Then I tried a set of the Ripjaw Z 1866mhz memory and guess what? All the problems a are gone. I set XMP and it runs at rated speed with no problems at all. The ARES 1866mhz memory will not run stable on this motherboard. I wish I knew that from the start. It's advertised as compatible......It is NOT. It will run at 1600mhz just fine but NOT at 1866mhz.

Comment

Working...
                          X