Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (x2)GSkill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX manual settings for Asrock X79 Ext6

Hi all,

This is my first real attempt at setting values manually so I'll just get straight to the specifics and see if anyone can help. I recently bought a new pc, parts including:

- Intel Core i7 3930K C2 Unlocked
    - (x2) GSkill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
    - Asrock X79 Extreme 6
    - Gigabyte 680 GTX OC
    - Samsung 830 256G SSD HDD
    - Corsair AX1200 PSU
    - Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling
    - Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Case

Having practically no understanding of the values I'm supposed to input to get both pairs of 16G running at 2400mhz, I am led here to the gurus! At the moment the ram is running at 1600Mhz with the "Standard" XMP profile in slots A1_A2, B1_B2.
    I should also say that I flashed the bios to L1.25 5/11/2012, to improve the DRAM compatibility as it states on Asrock's site. Though there are some things which I've picked up on that scare me, like the motherboard memory support list http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...X79%20Extreme6 which doesn't seem to show my ram
    Not really sure what to do from here, unless I need to take pics of the DRAM settings in the UEFI & post them for the visual aid. I'll be right back...
    Last edited by Yiots; 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM. Reason: Added CPUID stats & Pics

Basically, what you are running is exactly how they would test the set anyway, almost all mobo testing is done at the base or default DRAM boot speed of the mobo/BIOS which is normally 1333 or 1600, so QVLs are sort of worthless in my opinion (see my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

But, on to your problem, any time you mix sets (even the same exact model) it can be problematic, XMp is programmed by the set, so if enabled here it is setting things up for a 16GB set. Also, not all 3930K CPUs can carry 2400 sticks........so.........let's give it a try anyway, to go for 2400, set the base timings to spec 10-12-12-31, CR (Command Rate/timing) to 2T or 2N, let's start with the DRAM voltage at 1.7, QPI/VTT to 1.2, then into the DRAM advanced/secondary timings setr the tRFC to 314, the tWR to 17, tRRD 8, tWTR 10, tRTP 10, tFAW 26 tCWL 8 and give that a try - let me know what happens - if no joy may want to drop to 2133 at 9-11-11-31 tWR 15, tRFC 278, trrd 7, tWTR 8, tRTP 8, tFAW 24

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Wow! Thank you Tradesman! This is it here I go... I'll report back ASAP

Sadly none of the settings wanted to run at 2133 or 2400, after following your instructions. On the up side I did manage to set the xmp profile to 1.3v1 and the DRAM profile to 1866 and shes a running strong! Already a noticeable difference in load speeds and everything seems stable even did a run of heaven benchmark and gained a few frames. Gonna mess about some more and report back.FUN!
      Last edited by Yiots; 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I'll be waiting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well after trying all the combos, I couldn't find one in the xmp profiles to work, when 2133 or 2400 is set as DRAM. I did manage to get into bios with the 2400 showing as running and everything was running smooth in there, although when i tried to load windows it asked to do a repair and i skipped that and chose to continue to windows in my excitement, then it black screened. So I'm guessing to run 2400 or 2133 you have to get those magic numbers you were telling me spot on... anyone for Lotto!
          Hopefully a new update from Asrock can set the path to easy install 2400 ram. 1866 made my system from "Your system is running poorly" to "Your system is running properly" on 3DMark11

So glad I'm venturing into this realm!

Comment

At 2133, maybe try 9-11-11-31 for base timings....think you may have trouble hitting 2400, also with manual set up ensure OC is 4GHz or better

Tman

Comment

Hmmm how would I check if OC is 4Ghz or better? CpuId? What would I be looking at running 1866 like I am now? I'm starting to think there are a few settings in bios which are set to auto, that are restricting it from reaching any higher with stability.

I think PPL voltage or something needs to be enabled I had read something about that and the turbo needs to be allowed to go higher then the standard rate, right? Cause there is an option that says that...

A little overwhelmed by all the options at the moment.

Comment

In the BIOS you should have a setting for the CPU multiplier, should be on 40. Can look at CPUID (CPU-Z) at the Memory tab, under DRAM Frequency, it will show the true freq which is half of the designated 1866 or it should show 933 since this is DDR (Double Data Rate), or 1600 will show as 800, etc.

Tman

Comment

Ok I'll check out the multiplier. Got both 2133 and 2400 working in bios but causing boot loops with the timing settings you provided and DRAM voltage set to 1.695 and/or 1.710.

Ok I looked at cpu-z and DRAM memory is running at 933Mhz and i see the processor clock multiplier which states it's x12. I've added a cpu-z html log file so you can see. Isnt x12 to x40 a huge jump? Either way looking for the cpu multiplier in bios and I'll report back.

Ok found a CPU ratio setting that i changed to manual and now it lets me input a number stating 32 is the max ratio. It lets me put 40 but I'm just making sure I'm on the right path.

Took the incentive and OCed the processor using the easy over clock mode in the bios. Started at 4(stable as) moved on to 4.2(stable as) went 4.4(stable- slight heat increase +/- 5deg around 50 deg under load- compared to 40 deg with lower speeds: 3DMark & Heaven) With 4.6 I saw the temp at 56deg not under load.

So all in all I'm very happy to have delved into the OC'ers realm. 1866Mhz has helped and the 4.4Gig OC is making me smile every time I look at it! Last but not least should I be doing some kind of error checking of the system when its Oced like this? Im not quite sure which programs to use. I've heard of something called mem-test and downloaded it, seems to be bootable software. Let me know of anything to double check I'm ok and THANK YOU so much for all your help!!! Now my system can lie in peace until I get the another 680 and go SLI! Now I need to install a game! Hahaha
                  Last edited by Yiots; 11-23-2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Memtest will test the DRAM, CPU memory cache(s) etc. Can run Prime95 to stress the system, there's all kind of Benchmark programs out there to test different components and overall system, can check with FutureMark (3Dmark11, Vantage, 3DMark06), Passmark, and others. Might look here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10511

Tman

Comment

Well it's been a good 7 years and this system has pulled its weight phenomenally! I thought it was worth checking to see if this post was still active and so here I am : )

- Intel Core i7 3930K C2 Unlocked OC @4.4 GHz
                      - (x2) GSkill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX @2133Mhz
                      - Asrock X79 Extreme 6
                      - [Gigabyte 680 GTX OC] upgraded to GTX 1080
                      - [Samsung 830 256G SSD HDD] upgraded/added 840,850 and more storage
                      - Corsair AX1200 PSU
                      - [Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling] upgraded to NH-D15
                      - Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Case

The other day I jumped on Asrocks site and decided to see if I could get some more power from my system if I flash the bios from L1.25 5/11/2012 which I had flashed years ago in my initial post, to [Beta] L2.45 2013/9/11 which apparently improved overclocking behavior.

After flashing the bios I could run the RAM at 2133 stable without the use of XMP or any manual settings, base timings 10 12 12 31! This pretty much blew me away because for years now I had been using 1866 intermittently trying to get 2133/2400 with different timing sequences/ power settings & nothing ever worked. Either way I am exited to see the RAM run close to its potential all these years later.

Would it be worth flashing to the most updated version of the bios available to see if 2400 will finally be achievable? The latest version of the bios does not mention improvements in DRAM or overclocking.

Cheers to anyone who still uses ancient tech that still holds up today! PC MASTER RACE!

Comment

Up to you, however based on experience you are surely near the limits of that platform. May need to manually adjust VCCSA Voltage to force stability. Have you tried it with the existing BIOS? Don't quite think a BIOS update will simply allow the system to support full slots of DDR3-2400, but I suppose you never know..

Comment

Working...
                        X