This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know how thing go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Results

Tradesman,

Thanks again for the help. I managed to get the CPU overclocked to 3960 Mhz for now and all 4 sticks of memory running at 1600 Mhz with no issues.

Comment

Sounds good, glad to hear it, keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

When G. Skill Tech's recommends raising CPU-NB voltage by .05V to .1V does that mean I should raise CPU voltage and NB voltage independently? The only control that they share in BIOS is CPU-NB VID control, or is that the one I should tweak? My RAM is at 1333 and I'd like to get it at least to 1600 if not 1866. I have the Sniper 2 x 8 GB kit. This is my first build so I'm still kinda uneasy with tweaking BIOS settings. I'd hate to ruin any of my parts. My system is in my signature.
          AMD FX-8350
          Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
          G. Skill Sniper 16 GB F3-186610D-16GSR
          Samsung SH 224BB DVD-RW
          Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD
          Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
          Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870
          Rosewill Xtreme 750W PSU
          Rosewill Challenger U3
          Windows 7 Pro

Comment

CPU/VID is the one on your mobo, used to be simply the CPU/NB as a designator, but AMD and the different mobo manufacturers change things all over the place with what they call things (Intel does also to a lesser degree)

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial guys, works a treat! Prior to this I've been scouring the internet trying to find details on getting the Sniper 2x8GB 1866 RAM to run at 1866 with my Phenom II X6 1055T. But after looking around, a lot of people suggest running 1333 with lower timings. I'd like to investigate this option.

Is it possible to amend your tutorial to cover both cases? The first case being your existing overclocking to 1866, and the second being to keep 1333 but list the lowest timings possible?

Cheers

Edit: So I have the Sniper F3-1866C10D-16GSR @ 1333 and checked memtest86 using the motherboard defaults (9-9-9-24?) and it succeeded and said the memory was running at ~8000MB/s. I tried manual timings of 8-8-8-22 and it passed, but now said the memory was running at ~5000MB/s. What am I doing wrong? 7-7-7-19 failed pretty fast. Manual timings using 1T, not 2T.
              Last edited by bigstu80; 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

hi! I want to follow your guys steps but I am not sure where to find CPU/NB on my MOBO. This is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15tmJ. I kinda have an idea where it is but im not sure if its the right thing ( im afraid to mess up my system) this is the very same options that my mobo has http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71yRi7Syc0. the closest thing that I can find that has a voltage and a CPU involve is the Custom P-state setting named CORE VID. I am trying to get rid of endless BSoDs that my computer produces. It is also weird that if I plug in one RAM my computer works fine but if 2 of them are plugged in my computer becomes very unstable. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

1866 unstable

Here's my system specs:
                  AMD Phenom II 1090T
                  ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
                  G.Skill 1866 Sniper Series 9-10-9-28 DDR3
                  Seasonic X-650 power supply

I decided to upgrade to the 1866 RAM and followed the guide at the beginning of this thread. I bumped the HT link to 233, set IMC to approx. 2800, CPU to 3964 with voltage bump (been running 3900 stable for some time), + .1 for CPU-NB and 1.5v for RAM.
                  All was fine for about two weeks, then BAM! Blue screen and memory dump multiple times while playing BF3. I dropped in back down to 1600 8-8-8-24 and is perfectly stable.
                  Is 1866 too much for the 1090T or do I need to increase RAM voltage?

Thanks.
                  -ASUS Crosshair IV Formula motherboard
                  -AMD Phenom II x6 1090T CPU @ 3.85 GHz / 2.8 GHz IMC
                  -Corsair H55 liquid cooling unit
                  -ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP video
                  -Creative Sound Blaster-Z sound card
                  -8GB GSkill Sniper Series RAM @ 1866 MHz
                  -Samsung 830 256GB SSD
                  -Antec 300 gaming case
                  -Seasonic X650 modular power supply
                  -Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by DanH View Post
                    Here's my system specs:
                    AMD Phenom II 1090T
                    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
                    G.Skill 1866 Sniper Series 9-10-9-28 DDR3
                    Seasonic X-650 power supply

I decided to upgrade to the 1866 RAM and followed the guide at the beginning of this thread. I bumped the HT link to 233, set IMC to approx. 2800, CPU to 3964 with voltage bump (been running 3900 stable for some time), + .1 for CPU-NB and 1.5v for RAM.
                    All was fine for about two weeks, then BAM! Blue screen and memory dump multiple times while playing BF3. I dropped in back down to 1600 8-8-8-24 and is perfectly stable.

Thanks.
                    Try bumping up your RAM voltage a bit but you may have hit the limit on your 1090T. Try +0.05V or +0.1V if that doesn't solve it then drop it back to 1600 settings. Unfortunately the AMDs are not as good as the Intel's in the memory controller dept
                    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                    Corsair HX850
                    Antec 900
                    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Originally posted by DanH View Post
                      A lot of these chips hit a wall around 910 MHz = DDR3-1820 memory clock (+/- 10 MHz). If you have found that point for your cpu, smaller voltage bumps won't even give you a single Mhz more. You might get the system to boot, but stability is another story. It is usually not worth going insane in the voltage area, because the performance difference can somewhat be compensated by faster memory timings at DDR3-1600.

It is however a lot easier with an FX to get DDR3-1866 and even 2133 running. Just sayin'
                      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I set the voltage on my motherboard to Auto, which puts it at 1.65 volts. All seems well and stable now at 1866. Is this voltage too high for these modules?
                        Last edited by DanH; 07-22-2013, 10:14 AM.
                        -ASUS Crosshair IV Formula motherboard
                        -AMD Phenom II x6 1090T CPU @ 3.85 GHz / 2.8 GHz IMC
                        -Corsair H55 liquid cooling unit
                        -ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP video
                        -Creative Sound Blaster-Z sound card
                        -8GB GSkill Sniper Series RAM @ 1866 MHz
                        -Samsung 830 256GB SSD
                        -Antec 300 gaming case
                        -Seasonic X650 modular power supply
                        -Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          Your 6300 may not be able to handle 1866 and/or may need additional voltage to DRAM and CPU/NB to try and run them at 1866. The FX CPU's are rated UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (and that rating came about from testing with 4GB sticks and with more towards the top of the line FX CPUs. For 16GB or more and say your CPU i'd look to try and run at 1600....or for 1866 may need to take CPU/NB up to about 1.35-1.4 voltage wise.
                          Here's AMDs freq guide:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Sorry to resurrect, I am new to the forums, but also interested in the AMD CPU's with 1866 MHz ram.

I am running the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0, AMD FX-6300 BE and G-Skill Sniper 1866MHZ 8 GB -( 4 GBx2 ) just fine.

Personally, I am preparing to upgrade or build a new box and am interested in why some kits are listed as compatible on the website in the 1866 and others of the same capacity are not listed as compatible. For example, Trident X 1866 32GB kits ( 4 x 8GB ) not listed as QVL but the Sniper 1866 32 GB kits ( 4 x 8GB ) on the Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.
                          Last edited by LunyT1c; 10-27-2015, 09:42 PM.
                          Asus Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0; AMD FX-6300 BE @3.5 GHz, G-Skill Sniper 1866 MHz 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ), OS Drive: WD Raptor 74GB, Storage and Programs: WD Black edition 640 GB RAID-0, Win 7 Ultimate x 64

Comment

Not sure, may be an oversight

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              Set CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V to +0.1V depending on stability
                              Hi there,

I have a Gigabyte board and I can't find CPU-NB Voltage but I can find a setting called NB Core. Is NB Core the same as CPU-NB Voltage?

Comment

Yes NB Core Voltage is the correct choice

Comment

Working...
                                X