• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable Memory / Bad DIMMs?

MOBO M4a89GTD-ProUSB3
    Memory GSkill DDR3 f3-12800Cl9D-2GBRL
    CPU AMD Phenom XII 965BE

Problem: Built this box for a friend - had been stable for a year until frequent bluescreens while gaming caused me to eventually wipe/reformat

The Memory Slots 1-2 aren't taking - the memory runs stable in slots 3-4 in multiple configurations

I am running the voltages n timings stable @ 9-9-9-24 1600 and 8-8-8-24 1333
    DRAM 1.55V

I know low voltage w/ four sticks is a cause for problem w/ this setup.

When any setup is tried involving RAM in slots 1 OR 2 there is no POST.

Thank you.

UPDATE: Bios Updated to 3029 - Currently using Onboard GPU - Intend on installing driver updates - want stable RAM first.
    Last edited by AMDJay; 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM. Reason: Update

If stick are fine in 3-4 but no go in 1-2 sounds like CPU or mobo - you could try raising the CPU/nb about + 0.06 but sounds more like a dying CPU or mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey Tradesman tyvm for swift reply.
      http://imgur.com/SxdyS
      So I did what you said. After installing BIOS my friend noticed the Memory Slots read differently in CPU-Z, that was encouraging (Used to read DIMMs in order 1324 now it reads.. 12345 which is better if nothing else.)

So idk why it reads 5 slots of dimm? those pictures should illustrate my point a little more.

We fired it up after bumping the voltage to 1.1875 and POST!!!

I'd like to understand the discrepancy Re: 5 DIMM Slots in CPU-Z.

won't know for sure until some more testing but.. It feels stable.

Comment

Update

So that reading of 5 DIMM Slots must have been an artifact?
        Anyways it was gone after the next reboot so i'm not concerned anymore.

Now I can't get the Memory to read in dual channel.
        http://imgur.com/9Zkm3
        IGNORE the multiplier - cool and quiet is probably still enabled since BIOS were changed. Will Fix Multiplier Settings.

The Memory is allotted by sequentially in slots - in order 1,2,3,4. Should I pair them to slots 1,3 and 2,4?

That is something I don't know how to trouble shoot. if there is a post re: this problem I'd appreciate a link. tyvm.

Comment

Could be a glitch in CPU-Z, what do you have the DRAM Voltages at and what is the CPU/NB at?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

cpu nb @ 1.1
            dram @ 1.6
            nb @ 1.2

The computer was stable through tests @ 1600 9-9-9-24/27-2T and Voltages above.

Apparently he also did some things since I'd gotten it stable in attempts to make it read dual channel.
            msg from him:
            "Staggered the sticks worked to put it in dual, froze a couple times.. gotta try to stabilize in bios"

since then after a few hard freezes it stopped reading it in dual and went back to single channel.

Should I have him attempt the following:
            Stagger memory sticks, set it to 1333 and 8-8-8-24 DRAM of 1.55-1.6V.
            (Following the sticky post at top of this forum for those settings)

Comment

Sounds like mobo or CPU heading south if it won't run dual

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X