G. Skill F3-12800cl9q-16gbxl issues with AsRock Z77

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Skill F3-12800cl9q-16gbxl issues with AsRock Z77

I have built an Asrock Z77 extreme 4 system, and have been experiencing BSOD usually memory management. I am using a G. Skill F3-12800cl9q-16gbxl memory kit. Running memtest, I get thousands of errors with 4 modules in or 1 module in. I have not gone thru the process of running each module in each slot individually, and rerunning memtest. This weekend I hope, it is starting to get irritating. I have upgraded the bios to 2.1, and am currently running with 8gb installed, slots 1 and 3. The BSOD have increased since removing 1/2 the memory. I am running the I5 2500k chip with this. All my bios settings are stock except for the following; spread spectrum = disabled, speedstep = disabled, xmp 1.2 profile 1, memory set for ddr3-1600, dram @ 1.525 volts, VTT @ 1.104 (these setting recommended from a post here), thermal throttling = disabled, Enhanced halt state c1e = disabled. Rapid start and smart connect have been disabled. Any help with settings would be appreciated to get this resolved, the memtest results just seem very unusual, but I am no expert in this. I have read the setting up XMP for Z77 thread, but I do not have Ivy bridge. Do you need to manually set your timings when XMP is selscted. I have posted this in the overclockers forum where I found the XMP info also. If someone needs to delete one of these, by all means, just need help.

Try running memtest with a single stick in slot 1 (no need for the whole run, 4-5 passes should suffice, then try another single stick, if both fail then it's prob mobo or CPU, if both pass try the other two sticks one at a time and see if only a single stick fails, if so then it's a bad stick causing the problem....another poss is the BIOS, they have have had a number of screwy BIOSs with this mobo, I know I worked with them on this mobo and large sets and they came out with ver 1.6, which I currently run and has run everything I throw at it from 4GB to 32GB of both 2133 and 2400 sticks. You could try going to BIOS 2.2 which was fairly stable overall or jump to 2.4, the latest (10/25/2012) and try those. Let me know how it comes out, will be around a few more hours this evening, and will check in in the AM, but then I'll be in the field till mid afternoon Sat.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I don't know if I ever ran with bios version 1.6. I am up to 2.1 now, don't know if it's possible to go back to 1.6, is it? I have 2.2 and 2.4 ready to go on thumb drive using instant flash, but I will try to run memtest on individual modules this weekend. Most of my BSOD happen loading or playing BF3, I also have alot of Firefox crashes.

Comment

What ver of FF, some of the 1.6XX version had some problems w/ video drivers as does BF3, might want to just try raising the CPUVTT to 1.15 or 1.16 and see if that helps, if so, that may be the problem, even with the 1.6 I've had to make some minor VTT adjustments with some sets I've thrown in this rig....and if the VTT doesn't do it or 2.2, 2.4 provide no joy and nothing negative when you do Memtest (if needed), let me know and I can email 1.6 to you

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ran each memory stick in slot 1, and found 1 stick with errors. The other 3 look OK. I am running 2 modules in slots 1 and 3 for 8 GB right now. After 2 hours still no errors. I bought this memory as a 16 GB kit. Do I have to RMA the hole kit, or can OI just send back the 1 faulty module? Also, should I stick the other module in, for 12 GB, or will it mess stuff up cause an oddball number for dual channel?

Comment

Will have to contact GSkill for RMA, as far as I know they'll still do a single stick, though the whole set is better (that way you get a whole set back that's tested to all work together), sound like the midwest US, if you got them through the Egg and are within the 30 day return limit, might take that rate for an exchange, might be a couple days faster, else contact rma@gskillusa.com. can mention this thread we are in.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11706

If you RMA a single, yes should be able to run the three sticks with no problem, it will stay in Dual channel mode and should prob use slots 1,2,3 (from CPU)

Tman

Comment

Yes, it has been well beyond 30 days. I already filled the RMA out for 1 stick, and e-mailed G skill today. I understand its better to send the whole kit, but then I would be left with an inop rig, so 1 it is. Thanks for your help .

Comment

Not a problem, not thrilled but glad we found the problem, the Gskill folks are off on weekends so would expect a reply Mon, maybe PM depending on how much weekend traffic they get

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X