Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P9X79 RAM problem

MOBO--Asus P9X79-WS
    Memory--F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL (matched set of 8x8GB)
    (DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-30 1.5 v)
    (PC3-12800 8GX8 Intel XMP ready)
    CPU--Intel Xeon E5-2690. 2.9 Ghz
    Win 7 Pro

The system boots up showing 59GB. When I change the BIOS to XMP mode it will not boot(only one profile is present). I have tried the various methods noted on this site without success. Reset CMOS(removing battery), manual settings, etc. without success. I have updated to the latest BIOS as the first step(and in the middle of this--reflashed the BIOS in case it had become corrupted since the initial install). I have removed the memory sticks and reseated and have tried using less than the 8 sticks(the memory shows up proportionally less as each pair of sticks is takened out. I have also tried the various volt settings noted on this site for this MOBO). The speed noted when the system boots is 1333, and voltage is 1.5 volts.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guessing it's primarily the CPU, it's rated up to 1600 but with a max bandwidth of 51.2 GB, another thing would be the mobo's BIOS probably isn't tuned to a Xeon, CPU. Could try OCing the CPU, that can often help a CPU overcome it's designated specs

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What CPU would you recommend to replace the Xeon?

Comment

What CPU would you recommend for a replacement for the Xeon?

Comment

The system shows the memory as being 49GB---not the 59GB as written in the original post. It seems that the system is reading 6GB per stick of 8GB memory regardless of how many sticks are installed.

Comment

Mot many choices at moment for X79, other than the Xeon, there's the 3960X (about $1,000), the 3930X (think about $575) and the 3820 (about $300).....If I was going to build a X79 for myself, I'd go the 3930X, just don't see the price vs performance gain of going to the 3960X

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X