Which would be better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would be better

Am building and have tested up with the F3-2400C10D-8GZH and the board (Asus P8Z77-V doesn't like it insomuch as I have to use the memory button to get to to start up. The speed is put back to 1333MHz and although I am new to the UEFI I am wondering is this set is just too much for the board.

Would I be better off using Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB as it lists the Asus as the base -V board while the other doesn't and lists only the variants of the -V such as LE LX Pro De Luxe etc.

I plan to do some overclocking and maybe some gaming and will eventually have 16GB in place. So any ideas or thoughts on what I should get please as I can sell these sticks on if need be.
    ?The difference between genius and stupidity is - genius has its limits"

To start do you have the latest BIOS and what CPU are you running...pretty much need a 3770K or maybe a 3570K to run 2400 (not all 3570Ks will run 2400). If you have one of those two, make sure you have the latest BIOS, then go into BIOS, enable XMP and select 2400. If no joy, or you not running one of those CPUs, do the same and then set the freq to 2133 and try that. Let us know what happens and we'll go from there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok Tradesman I am about to start up for the first time and yes the CPU is an i5 3570K so I'll try what you say in that BIOS

John

Comment

Hopefully it can carry the 2400 sticks, as I said many can't, so be prepared to try 2133. If it doesn't hit 2400, let me know your DRAM timings, (basic and advanced) and system voltages, hopefuylly we can get them full speed ahead at 2400

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hiyya TM I followed a fairly decent Youtube video on that BIOS and I think I have got 2190MHz up and running. Have installed 7 and now running drivers for the board so far so good.

Will keep you updated as son as I find things out.

John

Comment

Will have an eye (actually both of them) out for your updates

Tman

Comment

Hum got a few probs at the moment mate as I can get it to run @ 2100MHz but a reboot for whatever reason knocks it back a gear or two. Seems to be a bit stable @1800MHz but EXTREMELY slow on power up and once in the apps fly until a Google search for example then I settle in with a packed lunch and wait.

John

Comment

Just so we can help you a bit better...what are the current timings, voltages etc.

Seems like something is not quite right with your system if you are getting really slow boot and a large slow-down when you start doing things. Maybe post your rig's specs as well.

In the mean time I would go back into the BIOS and reset the RAM to defaults and see how that goes (ie run at 1333, and see if you still have slow boot etc.)
                AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                Corsair HX850
                Antec 900
                Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Did you get the latest BIOS? posting the BIOS settings as AIM53X suggested would help, might be something simple that off in the settings.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Did you get the latest BIOS?
                    Actually that is another very good point. I had to update the BIOS on one of my systems before my RAM timings appeared properly. Double check the BIOS version on your motherboard while you are in there getting those RAM timings etc.
                    Last edited by aim54x; 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM. Reason: fixing quote
                    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
                    Noctua NH-U9B SE2
                    Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
                    G. Skill Ares 16GB F3-1866C10D-16GAB @1600 9-9-9-24
                    Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
                    XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition
                    Corsair HX850
                    Antec 900
                    Winidows 7 -64bit

Comment

Working...
                    X