Ddr 3 ram mis-labeled? No stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ddr 3 ram mis-labeled? No stability

I just sent this to GSkill tech support and if anyone has an idea why my PC-12800 Rip-Jaw ram is showing up in CPUID as PC-10700 let me know.

I own 3 sticks of F3-12800CL9-4GBRL in triple channel mode on a Gigabyte GA X58-UD7 REV 2 board which is water cooled. When looking at CPUID, this ram is listed as PC-10700 (667mhz) I have been running this completely stable at 1600 9-9-9-25-40 2t, but I am worried that this was miss-labeled ram as 10700 ram is usually slower than 12800, and CPUID is usually not wrong when it reads SPD info from the sticks.

I just purchased 3 new sticks of GSkill Sniper from Newegg which are F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR2 which is rated at 1600 9-9-9-24- at 1.25v and this is ultra low voltage ram. The lowest voltage I can set this ram at in my bios is 1.35 v but I cannot find any setting that is stable except jedec 2 which is 533 (or 1066) and in most cases, it will not even post or it runs for a short time at 1600 then crashes. I have tried 1.5 v same exact results. I put the Ripj-aws back in, and it runs perfectly stable at 1600. (no posting problems). I have run this same ram for some time at 1800 with almost complete stability, but I backed it down when I noticed the CPUID SPD value being 10700 vs 12800 like the label on the spreaders

1.Are the Rip-jaws mislabeled on the heat-spreader? (is it really is 10700, but runs stably over-clocked at 1600)
    2. Are the Snipers just incompatible with my board, or a bad batch. I am going to test in a newer UEFI board and see if 2 sticks of this will run stable in dual channel.

If I find unstable in the newer board should I RMA? I have attached a screen print of the part number miss-match on the Rip jaws. (not included in this forum post)
    BTW the Snipers show the higher max bandwidth in the SPD window that matches 12800 label on the plastic spreaders, but they are totally unstable at 1600, rated voltage or higher.

On the first, the 1600 Ripjaws showing PC3-10700 - you are probably seeing that in the SPD tab of CPUIDs CPU-Z program - and it is the settings that are used to pair up with default boot values of a mobo - your looking at the max-bandwidth right? Most every mobo when it detects new DRAM defaults to 1333 or 1600, there's an info article I wrote on this very misconception here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

As far as the Snipers go, they'll work with your mobo but you will prob have to run at a higher voltage, the low voltage Snipers came out in the second half of 2011, and just worked with one of your mobos, and if I remember right the latest BIOS was Mar of 2011, so they didn't even know of the low voltage Snipers yet and don't have support for them. Would think they should be stable at spec freq with 1.37 to 1.4 or so....could contact GB to see about a BIOS upgrade, but it's extremely doubtful, they pretty much walked away from the X58 support.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman for the info on the SPD tab it is odd that the Sniper's default boot value is higher than the Rip-jaw but they are basically the same speed ram with different voltages. I tried 1.35 and 1.5 with the Snipers and it cannot even get past post in most cases. I agree about X58 being under the bus now and I have the last developed stable bios installed. I will still check stability in a little newer board when it arrives. The Rips are rock stable at 1600 so I will leave as is, unless I upgrade in the future, to a newer board and processor.

Comment

Some of that depends on when the individual model came out, and their update schedule, basically all the continueing lines of DRAM will be moved up to a default of 1600. There were a number of X58 mobos that just didn't like low voltage DRAM and the BIOSs reflect that. Even many of the newer mobos aren't really optimized to use low voltage DRAM and I think in part it's cut down on the cost of programming in the BIOS, but they need to get used to it, DDR4 is around the corner and will be bringing lower voltages as a standard and getting into higher freqs

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X