Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE. [ RipjawsZ ] F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4) + ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Hi,

I just built a new computer and have a problem with RAM and the motherboard. Before continuing I'll post the pc specifications:

CPU: i7 3770
    MB: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
    RAM: [ RipjawsZ ] F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4)
    PSU: 750W CORSAIR SERIE HX silver
    CPU FAN: Noctua nh-d14
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 OC
    DRIVES: SSD Samsumg 830 - 256GB (OS)
    2TB WESTERN DIGITAL SATA3 64MB CAVIAR GREEN

Now the problem:
    When all 4 sticks of memory are installed system doesn't boot and I get a Q code 55 (no memory). I left only one memory stick and it worked fine. I installed the OS and the latest BIOS update. I tried with two memory sticks and I got the same Q code again.
    Then I left only one stick, entered BIOS and selected XMP for the memory. With XMP I get the memory recognized at 1600 and works fine. I tried again with two sticks and again no luck.

I've tested all four sticks in one slot and all work fine. I've also tested different slots for memory and they work too. Well, one of them did a funny thing. When having RAM installed in one of the not recommended slots for using only 1 stick my mouse (USB) stopped working.

I've been searching arround different forums and it seems there is some people with similar problems with ASUS mobos. I was wondering if someone has had the same problem and found a way to fix it through the BIOS.

I'm pretty lost with this as this is the first time I've had to use the BIOS.

Thanks a lot

My first guess would be that the BIOS is outdated, I'd check that and update if needed (many mobo makers are still working on getting the BIOS right to run the high density 8GB sets (even 1 or 2 sticks) and very far behind in getting XMP to run 4 of the sticks).... so I'd try the BIOS and then let us know how things are, I'll be in and out most of the evening

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The first thing I did was updating the BIOS. I'm running the lattest BIOS from ASUS

Comment

Let' try with turbo boost on, two sticks in slots 1-3 (from CPU), CPU/VTT about 1.14 and see how that does, if OK try it with the other two sticks in the same slots if it boots with one pair and not the other, then may have a bad stick and can check further by running each of the two sticks from the bad set through memtest individually (4-5 passes should suffice), If neither set will boot, probably a problem with the mobo or CPU...if both will boot with that then try all the sticks, if no joy there try raising the VCCSA to 1.2 and the the CPUVTT to 1.2 if still no joy then it may well be a timing problem, more than likely in the advanced/secondary timings so post your DRAM timings, base and secondary/advanced as well as your system voltages, and we'll see if anything looks off

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow (I'm at work and don't have the pc here).

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know if it works n.n

Comment

I'm generally in and out every day, so I'll be looking

Tman

Comment

Hey, Tradesman

I didn't get to test what you told me. I was recommended by someone on the g.skill tech support to remove the battery from the motherboard for a minute. As that was a lot simpler than what you told me, I tried that first. After doing so, I put in 2 memory sticks (2 and 4 from the CPU as I cannot access 1 without removing the CPU fan - noctua dh-14) and the system booted without any problem. Then I shut it down again and tested the other 2 sticks as you told me. These two also worked fine.

I will test the system installing all 4 sticks on wednesday, as I need help from a friend to remove the noctua and he also wants to clean the processor and put some thermal paste again. I will let you know if everything works then.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Hey Tradesman, I finally got to test all 4 RAM sticks and everything worked perfectly. I have my 32Gigs of RAM working on XMP and I didn't have to make any more adjustments in the BIOS. It looks that removing the battery from the mobo was the thing to do, LOL.

Right now everything works fine, but I haven't had time yet to test the computer under a little stress. I will try to install some games and see how everything works (I think The Witcher 2 will be a good start for testing).

Thanks a lot, man.

By the way, ASUS tech support sucks.

Comment

Ya think??? Actually I'm not really a fan of the support at any of the mobo makers - Might take a look at my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

If their BIOS isn't ready for the DRAM you have, you're often SOL, I haven't dealt with any mobo techies that have any real idea about their own products when it comes to DRAM (unless it's on their QVL and you want to run it at the mobo default

Tman

Comment

Yeah, Tradesman, I read that threat (I think I read half this forum before deciding to sign in, LOL). In fact, a lot of your replies to people is what got me into signing in. You give really good advice and info an I had the impression this would be the best place for trying to get my problem fixed.

By the way, the "that memory isn't in the QVL for that motherboard" was the answer I got from Asus tech support. Anyways, I sent them a pretty mean email as a response. It won't do any good, but I feel a little better, LOL

Comment

Don't blame you, have sent many a nasty gram myself, but they mainly just get tossed so the higher ups don't see them. The QVL thing is a stock response, what can be fun when it's a fast set of sticks and it is on the QVL, say 2133 (which of course they 'test' at 1600) and they can't explain why it won't run at 2133, so then they tell you you must have bad sticks, then you tell them that the sticks test fine under Memtest and work great on other mobos, then it becomes "it's a bad CPU", nope you say that too works fine in other mobos with 2133....then they might forward you to their engineers (doubtful) it's more likely they'll tell you to RMA the mobo - and if you do, quite often they just send it back to you and say there's nothing wrong with it

Tman

Comment

In my book what you are describing it is not support at all. It`s kind of annoying. I feel like they use the QVL as an excuse for not helping customers and provide that support. And what I find most annoying is the fact that this is the most common situation, that most manufacturers work this way. I think that's a very bad customer service policy and I'm pretty sure they will pay the consecuencies in time. At least, if they have a QVL for a motherboard that can handle up to 32g of memory, they should include some 32g packs in the QVL.

For me all this has been really frustating. I've always had someone build my computers and this is the first time I built it mysel (with some help -a lot- from a friend). I've been having a lot of trouble, from delays with the shipping from the retailer, to a lost motherboard during shipment (wich was the last one of that model in stock and I had to choose a new one), and finally to the RAM problem. At least everything is working now. I also had the chance to test the pc with some games and playing crysis at max specs without a problem and with a cpu temperature of 40?C or less is really cool. And the computer works wonderfully when using photoshop which is the use I'll give it the most.

Uf, sorry for the loooong post, LOL

Comment

Not a problem, everybody needs to vent once in awhile and the forum is as good a place as any - some of the mobo makers look in at times and never know it might help straighten them out, it won't be the techs looking, it will be managers and like that, it would be good for them to hear how bad their support is...you know their support folks aren't letting them know how they handle "support"

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X