Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing RAM

Hi all.

Long time reader first time poster. It's a pleasure to be here.

I have 3 kits of G skill RAM, they are:-

F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL x2 kits
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Can I mix the XL kit with one of the RL kits in my Crosshair IV Formula? CPU is a 1090T.
    Other than full slots normal "issues", is there any extra worries when mixing these two kits?

Thanks for the time taken in reading and/or answering. It's greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bladesman83; 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM.

Generally, any time you mix sets of DRAM it can be problematic, even of the same model number. That being said, you can always try and see what what happens...it's not going to blow up or anything. Best bet would probably to keep the the sets paired, i.e. the Ripjaws in slots 1-3 or 2-4 with the Ripjaws X in the other 2 slots. As a bit of forewarning it will prob reuire additional voltage to the CPU/NB and the DRAM itself from whatever the BIOS automatically sets in order to be stable.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Generally, any time you mix sets of DRAM it can be problematic, even of the same model number. That being said, you can always try and see what what happens...it's not going to blow up or anything. Best bet would probably to keep the the sets paired, i.e. the Ripjaws in slots 1-3 or 2-4 with the Ripjaws X in the other 2 slots. As a bit of forewarning it will prob reuire additional voltage to the CPU/NB and the DRAM itself from whatever the BIOS automatically sets in order to be stable.
      Thanks Tradesman.

I intend to keep them together as they are different sizes, although I see that may have not been apparent in my initial post.
      The Ripjaws are 2GB with the Ripjaws X being 4GB sticks.

Comment

With that, I'd go the RJ X in 1-3 and the regular RJ in 2-4

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi again.

I've noticed that when I set DDR1600 in BIOS the timings on my RJ X are at CL11, which is the JEDEC #6 838MHz timing and not the XMP 1600 800MHz.

Is this normal?
          Does anyone have the full timings so I can manually set in BIOS?

Thanks.

Comment

With two sets, XMP won't work, so manually set to 1600, 9-9-9-24, CR (Command Rate) at 2T (or 2N if the mobo uses the N designator), would probably start with DRAM voltage at 1.55 and CPU/NB voltage maybe at 1.3 or so

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman.

I do appreciate your help.

I have only the RJ X kit in at the moment and it's still CL11 @ 1600.
              The RJ Kits are correct at CL9 when installed on there own.

The RJ X are defaulting to 838MHz timings even when set to 800MHz.
              Any ideas? Have you seen this before?

Thanks.

Comment

Post pictures of what you are looking at. If you manually set everything properly, it should be correct.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

As above.

Set to 1600 yet using CL11.

Comment

Need to manually set the timings in the BIOS

Tman

Comment

Thats how ive been doing it Tradesman but is it normal for the 1600 profile to function outside of JEDEC spec and need manual input or is it a fault?

Thanks..

Comment

If you put the timings and freq in correctly then they should be basically spot on....if the BIOS is correct...i.e. for whatever reason on my Z77 you set the BCLK to 100 in the BIOS the system comes up and it's always at 100.46, so CPU is a little faster than 4.7GHz and DRAM should be at 2400 is at 2411.2....My P67 rig is off a hair also (as are many others, everywhere)

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman.

Thanks for your perseverance. I don't think I'm explaining myself properly so I'll give it one last shot :P

Assuming I've set the BIOS correctly (which I have) at DDR1600, is it normal for the timings to be wrong and need manual input?
                          If so, is there anyway I can get full list of primary and secondary timings for this RAM @ 1600.

Thanks.

P.S. If I'm getting annoying, just tell me to sod off.
                          Last edited by bladesman83; 10-24-2012, 05:28 AM.

Comment

It appears that the mobo/BIOS is setting the actual timings, if it was a single set you could just turn on XMP or DOCP and it will read the timings from from the sticks and apply them, but with two sets you have to manually set the freq (1600 here) as well as set the timings manually i.e. 9-9-9-24 or whatever). If you are actually doing this, (setting them to 9-9-9-24 or whatever the spec is) and it (the BIOS) is changing them to the 11-11-11-28 on it's own and it still boots clean (no restart) , then something is out of whack

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman.

Just updating for you:-

I put in all 4 sticks (2xRJ 2GB + 2xRJX 4GB) and all is well. Timings were correct (CL9) with all four sticks and I have been running for about a week with the CPU/NB @ 2800MHz.

Take care.

Comment

Working...
                              X