This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version of BIOS is out.
    F8: Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU)
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...S&FileID=15115

Comment

i got that bios when it was released and it did not help me any.

Comment

I'm a little confused

Maybe I was blessed I've had no problems with this memory. I read the whole thread and thought of adding my 2 cents to share with all. I have the exact same hardware package of this thread. I have 1 set of this 4GB (2x2GB) RAM, which I purchased from Newegg in Feb/09 and since I set it first time it always boots and runs windows at 1066 (5.33 option) without problems.
        RAM set to 1066 (5.33) Timings set manually to 5-5-5-15 (leave all else default which is Trfco 127.5ns and Row Cycle 33 I believe) and I've used voltage from 1.8V-1.9V-2.0V all the way to 2.1V and never failed to post no problems. I find this memory very stable and flexible. I usually keep it at 2.0V but just noticed that it has been running at 1.8V since I upgraded BIOS to F9 and forgot to increase voltage again (didn't notice any instability in over 1 month).

Processor I have a AM2+ BE 7850 Kuma Athlon x2 2.8Ghz (unsuccessful to unlock 3rd & 4th cores - it just doesn't post if I try to turn ACC to Hybrid or if I try Gigabyte's ET6 advanced tuner utility) so I run it at stock dual cores.

FSB set to stock 200Mhz, have been able to OC stable up to 3.2Ghz only on multiplier, without any NB voltage increases (so I've been running it at 1.1V since new).

Thank you GS great memory.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          UPDATE: Gigabyte released a new BIOS.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=3038
          __________________________________________________ _____________________

Very first thing, make sure you have one stick installed in each of the color slots closest to the processor. So it should be the slot closest to the processor, skip one, then one stick in the third slot closest to the processor.

The memory should be installed in the yellow slots, slot 1 and slot 2.
          Hi, can you please confirm wich is correct??
          thanx

Comment

pretty sure its side by side slots..... either slots 1,2 or 3,4. not skip a slot for dual channel mode for that board

Comment

Correct, for this particular motherboard anyway!

The GA-MA790X-UD4P has RAM slots in yellow-yellow-red-red sequence, channels 0-1-0-1
              meaning channel 0 = slot 1 + 3
              meaning channel 1 = slot 2 + 4

so if you instal RAM in slots 1&2 you are running dual channel (slot 1 ch 0 + slot 2 ch 1)
              If you instal this RAM in slots 1&3 you are running both in single channel in channel 0

You may confirm this information in the Gigabyte User Manual that came with the MB

Comment

Working setup

I too was having a great deal of trouble running these sticks on this mobo. I had followed the steps noted on the first post (http://www.gskill.us/forum/showpost....&postcount=1); however, I was still gettomg BSODs on a regular basis. MemTest (3.3) would fail (errors would pop up around Test 5 and 8) as well.

After a bit of reading and experimenting I have finally been able to run these sticks at 1066 BSOD free and error-free. Essentially all I did was bump CPU NB VID by +0.025V in addition to all the settings mentioned in the first post.

My Setup:
                GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev 1.0) - BIOS: F9
                AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz
                RAM Modules in Slots 1 and 2 (Yellow/Yellow -- Nearest to CPU)

Result:

There was no errors even after 6 hours (forgot to take a photo)

Upping the CPU NB VID voltage added ~2C to the idle temperature of my processor. However, this only raised the temperature of the chip to 27C (stock cooler), so the price of this additional performance far outweighs the cost of additional heat, in my opinion.

Side Note: This is the first time I ever had to mess with BIOS so much. My previous F1-3200PHU2 's were literally plug-and-play (in the sense that advertised timings and ddr-400 speed was automatically set) when I placed them in my NForce4 board. But I guess the fact that this board supports such a wide range of CPUs, means that their will be tweaking involved.

Comment

Did the firmware update a few hours before your post, and also could not get it working.

I will give this a shot sometime this week and hopefully it works, thanks for posting.

Comment

Good luck arcsum. Hopefully all worked well for you. My post above shows the stable setup with the LEAST amount of tweaking of the voltages. However, it is not the only one in which I received stable results.

I also found stable settings when upped my voltages in this manner:
                    Northbridge Volt Control: +0.3V
                    Southbridge Volt Control: Normal
                    CPU NB VID Control: +0.225V
                    CPU Volt: +0.025V

However this also raised my CPU temperature significantly (idled at 35C), so I decided against using it. If you have an aftermarket cooler and the previously posted settings fail, you can try those settings out.

Best of luck

Comment

Thanks

They didnt work, been through all kinds of settings.

They pass individual tests, but fail paired. Techsupport is having me send them back

I will try those settings though and post back, as I do have a good aftermarket cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by arcsum68 View Post
                        They didnt work, been through all kinds of settings.

They pass individual tests, but fail paired.
                        Hmm, that is quite odd. What test are you using? I know for a fact that Memtest86 3.5 DOES NOT support 4GB or more when testing.
                        Also have you disabled Advanced Core Clocking?

Anyway I forgot to post screen shots in my previous post, so I have attached them below. DDR2 settings remain the same from previous post with screenshots.:

Hopefully you have a better ventilated case than I do. My temps started creeping to 40C with only an hour into memtest86+ with the high voltage settings, therefore I stopped. Best of luck.

Edit: just to avoid any confusion -- Memtest86+ screenshot shows 8-5-5-15; however the CAS Latency is set to 5T in the bios. For whatever reason '8' is detected by memtest86+. Maybe it is referring to the Write Recovery Time? I just don't know.
                        Last edited by dardf; 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Case is ventilated OK (2x120's in push/pull config), but I like to keep it quiet so I probably wont do that and will send them in for RMA instead. Although I may try it just to see if it will work.

Screenshots of my bios are in this thread.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4688

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate the input.

Also, I am using memtest+ 4.00

Comment

dardf, the 8 is a glitch with memtest.

arcsum68,

Are you able to operate DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V? Generally if this works fine, the memory is fine, and the issue lies with the data connection between the CPU.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

No, tried the settings in this thread and it wouldnt even post, had to clear cmos.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4296

Comment

DDR2 - 1066 Crashes when testing benchmark..

I followed BIOS directions to take my 4GB MEMORY( 2 slots) that shows up as 800, changed to 1066, went back to "WINDOWS 7 64-BIT" and ran same benchmark test to determine any improvements.. after a minute or so into benchmarking I got blue screen of death!! This did not happen under 800 ddr2! Right now my GIGABYTE motherboard has F104 bios, perhaps that is the problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X