• Show
Clear All

• F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI / ASUS M4A79 trouble getting stable system

Hello,

first post here. First System Specs:

Mainboard : ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 2708 Bios
    Memory : F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI
    CPU : Phenom II X4 940BE

Problem : Prime 95 x64 Blend all workers end with Error, Memtest v4.00 Test#5 errors)

I've tried first stabilizing with 4GB ( half kit) so as to get an idea about behavior of specific modules.

Setting Ranges i've tried with 2 sticks of the F2-8800CL5Q-8GBPI kit are :

(where more than one values appear, i've tried the combinations of all)

CPU Multi : 15 (stock)
    HT (FSB) : 207
    RAM Multi : 5.33 (1066 Setting) -> 207x5.33=1104MHz

Timings : Manual
    Timings : 5-5-5-15-2T with TRC=25~41 and 5-5-5-18-2T with TRC=24~41
    TRFC = 127.5ns & 195ns
    DDR2 Voltage : 1.8~1.9V
    CPU-NB VID : 1.175V (Stock) ~1.250V
    HT Voltage : 1.24V
    NB Voltage : 1.20V

System is watercooled (CoreTemp Load: 37C, A/Conditioned Room)

Problem is as described above, that i can't set this ram kit to be stable, getting Prime Blend Errors (workers stop), Firefox Crashing, Catalyst Crashing etc.

Also Memtest v4.00 Test #5 consequently getting errors (and timings not recognised properly, appears 8-5-5-15 instead of 5-5-5-15, could be memtest's bug).

When ram is set at 800MHz, system runs stable with 4GB that i tested, haven't tried whole 8GB of the kit.

The CPU IMC seems capable (other 8GB-1066MHz kit run flawlessly, other 4GB-1200MHz kit run flawlessly). System works without problem with other vendor's 4GB kit at DDR2-1200, 5-5-5-18-24 1.9V full Prime Stable (Blend test, 4hr). I have screenshots/validation to prove this if needed.

I will appreciate any setting options suggested.

There is also the option of testing this Memory kit in an Intel-based system (ASUS P5E Deluxe + Q6600), but not until Monday, i guess. It would be great if i had any basic settings suggestions to test kit in this system also.

Thank you in advance, i hope this has a good end.

Cheers

Settings look alright, but HT Voltage and NB Voltage may need a little more to stabilize.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, should i try let's say about +0.04V each ?

Comment

Up to +0.3V for each.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Update:

Didn't have much time free the past week , so my update is late.

The one pair of the kit works fine with minimal voltage changes, at 5-5-5-15-42-2T 1.9V.

Problem is with the other pair. Cannot even run troublefree in 1066MHz for rated timings and voltages , not even if i set increased values (1.35V) for CPU-NB, NB and HT Voltage. Only works fine at 800.

Is there any other kind of testing to do? Should i check single module to see which one is causeing the problem, or change some setting and do more testing ?

Thank you .

Comment

If one pair works fine, so should the other. Try one stick at a time to see if one may be defective. They should both be able to operate DDR2-1066 at least.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK, done with all testing....delayed update again due to large amount of settings tried and not enough free time...

Tested all modules single. Each of them at 1066MHz, with the same range of settings that are reported in the first post and all the added setting ranges suggested.

2 modules do not manage to pass memtest 4.00 Test #5, not even a single pass. I have screenshots from the tests which show the range, though no time to upload now, i can send a zip if asked or add links tomorrow.

The other 2 modules run fine and each has run about 1h20min of the same memtest 4.00 test #5, without a single error.

This moment the 2 modules that are ok, are running together a LinX 20-pass test in Windows at 5-5-5-15-41 1.9V 1066Mhz, no errors atm.

Previous week i tested the modules in my offices P5E-Q6600 machine. I tested only the erratic modules and they also failed at 1066Mhz 1.9V consequently.

I think i've covered all possible cases.

Kindly awaiting for your response.

Comment

Simply send the set not passing for new replacements.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK,

Just 2 details :

a) I am located in Europe , do you have RMA facilities in EU ?

b) The kit is the 8GB one, so i suppose i should send the whole kit, or not ? (i was referring to 'pairs' as per front/back pairing in original packaging of 8gb kit)

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated

Regards.

Comment

a) Unfortunately we do not; Taiwan would be the most convenient.

b) I would suggest sending the entire kit, and also requesting to have them tested before shipping. This would guarantee a good set.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

After all these years, the kit i got from the RMA served me well on the ASUS M4A79.

I had to do some changes in RAM & CPUs, so the Quad kit ended on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P

Unfortunately, it never managed to run @ 1100, not even @ 1066.

Reason ? The only settings that cannot be configured in the BIOS and that are the only difference betweeen the two boards are the tWRWR (Write to Write Delay) and tRDRD (Read to Read Delay).

These are set in the ASUS M4A79 @ 3T and 3T respectively. The Gigabyte board does not give the option to control these two and sets them automatically @ 1T both.

All the other settings being same, the quad kit with the same CPU in both cases, is only stable @ 1100 & 1066 in the ASUS M4A79.

I have the following screenshot to prove it, it's a 7hr stable Prime Blend :

So, for 2 simple settings the pi's cannot even run two sticks @ 1066 on both of my gigabyte 790X boards...

I just love the M4A79...still strong and a good companion to the fantastic 8800 Pi's...

Comment

Great to hear!

8800 is extinct now
                        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Seems that the Gigabyte board does have a really buggy bios when it comes to memory handling. Users ahd reported that latest versions (needed to support Thubans) had buggy memory compatibility.

I got this system running using other ram , but i also had to only use 4GB. This is a secondary system now, so i don't really care.

I have to admit that G.Skill has earned its place in my systems. My main system has a set of 2400C9D Trident-X running strong in my Crosshair Formula Z and my 1090T gem (wish i also had bought a set of Flares when it was available).

Although ram for AMD is best to be low frequency & tight timings, it works excellent in my system @2000C8 (click for larger image) :

I will also post my results in OC section.

Comment

Pretty nice kit you go there! Definitely maximizes the 1090T CPU

Comment

Working...
                            X