Current Parts:

Mother Board: GA-MA790FX-DS5
    MEMORY: F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965BE Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

Old Settup: (noted for reference)

Mother Board: Same
    MEMORY: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    CPU: AMD 6400+ BE 3.6 Dual Core

PROBLEM: I cannot get this settup to pass memtest/ prime95/ AMD OverDrive Stability test. Memtest and Prime95 will eventually cause a reboot.

Note: Previously on this mobo I was running F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ with a AMD 6400+ Dual Core. It was running very unsatable at stock speeds so after talking to a tech on another forum I changed some of the voltage on the board and it ran great after that.

First thing I did was swap out the old ram [2GBNQ] in dimms 1 & 2 for the new ram [4GBPQ] and left in the AMD 6400+. Windows would hang on the loading screen. I figured the bios wouldn't auto adjust so I chose to "Load Optimized Defaults". I got the Memory to go through eventually (sry, I cannot remember what I did, seems like ages ago).

Then once I got into Win XP, I used Gigabyte's Software @Bios to update the bios for the quad-core support. I put in my new CPU and it ran, very similar to the "jitter" I experienced the first time with the old system (before adjusting voltages). I decided to take a leap and jump into win 7 pro 64. After updating all the drivers I noticed that under system info, the CPU was only registering 1.6 GHz. So after double checking my bios, I found the software [@Bio] loaded F8a, I had to manually download the newest F8g to update through @Bios. Now the CPU shows correctly at 3.2 GHz.

I then spent roughly 9 hours between two days adjusting and tweaking stuff. All the while trying to stress test this system and tweaks. I have tried doing the RAM shuffle dance by testing one stick at a time (both failed memtest) then trying my old ram and it failed memtest as well. This is where I'm currently sitting...

CURRENT SETTUP:

Memory [4GBPQ] sitting in DIMMs 0&1 dual channel un-ganged (DIMMs 2&3 empty)
    Bios Adjustments:
    DDR2 Voltage Control: [+0.05] 1.90v
    Chipset Voltage Control [+0.05v] 1.300v

Everything else is set under "Load Optimized Defaults"

In Closing:

Although this current setup will not pass stability tests, I'm playing games and running normal operations without crash's or noticeable problems. I have seen some freeze's in gaming with prior adjustments but it's currently running "OK". I guess I want to make sure this will not crap out on me at a later time. I'm not 100% sure if it's the RAM/ MOBO/ CPU or a combo of all three causing the issue.

I was playing ARMA II last night and got a BSOD. So this will definitely not work with the current setup.

I started to think it was the mobo but I'm now running stable with the old 2x 1gig sticks in DIMMS 0&1. I've run multiple tests over 4 hours and I'll run memtest86 tonight to make sure but I'm fairly certain it's these sticks of ram.

Now that I think about it, the box for the ram had been opened. I'm wondering if it got RMA'd and newegg then decided to bless me with its issues. Never had a problem with newegg so I'll check with them on returning it.

I will be back here with results in a week or so perhaps.

Comment

I got an email from tech suggesting that I put the ram in the other two slots. Seems to be running stable here so I'll test this for the next couple days.

If I do get this to run stable, I wanted to try and run the other two sticks [F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ] with this. What is your recommendation on that?

Comment

May not work since the specifications are different, but doesn't hurt to attempt. Just make sure you supply enough voltage for both. You may also need to increase CPU-NB Voltage, NB Voltage, and HT Voltage to stabilize it.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X