Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot issues and RAM Not Showing up in Windows XP

Hello,

I initially had trouble booting, then I added 1 stick at a time. WIll this be an issue in the future?
    When I boot it shows 6GB of RAM in the boot settings, but in Windows it only shows 3GB RAM
    I did not change anything in the BIOS.. What do I need to change the BIOS to?

Also will 1066 RAM give me much better performance for NLE Editing?

Thanks!

Dave

SPECS)*******************

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
    RAM: 4 Slots Filled
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

Slots 1 and 2
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ –

Slots 3 and 4
    (2) G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6S-2GBMQ –

Due to the limitations of the operating system you will only see 3gb or less when you enter Windows. In order to utilize, or "see" more then 3 you will need to upgrade to a OS with 64 bit architecture, ie Windows Vista x64, Windows 7 x64. I am not quite sure how XP x64 handles the memory limatition. If you are on a 64 bit OS make sure Memory Remap is enabled in the BIOS, if the setting is there!
    Last edited by Dumaine; 02-10-2010, 05:28 AM.

Comment

You won't be able to run DDR2-1066 with your CPU and motherboard combination.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks here is something strange. I already had the 2 x 1 gb dual channel sticks installed and I installed windows 7.
        I went to install the 2 2 GB single channel sticks and the PC would not boot. I took one out and it did boot, but on boot up it showed 4GB RAM but listed it as DDR2 667 Single Channel. All three sticks are DDR2 800 IS the RAM defective or do I need to change a setting. Also, I dont see memory remap on the setup of the mobo. Can you please help? THANKS

Comment

put the 2x2gb sticks in slot 1 and 2 for 4gb, yet it will only be single channel, make sure the memory is set to 800 in the BIOS, if you attempt to run a combination of those sticks Im quite sure it will default to single channel because its gonna read the lesser of the installed memory

Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR2 memory module is installed

dont worry about the memory remapping
          Last edited by Dumaine; 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Inastalled RAM PC No Longer Boots

Hello I installed the 2 x 2 GB in bank 0 and the pc no longer boots Hopefully gskill support can help me ???defective

Thanks for your response

Dave

Comment

does it boot using 1 2gb stick at a time? another suggestion is to just replace them as you had in your first post
              Last edited by Dumaine; 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Strange results

Thanks for the advice. I put in the the first 2GB stick on the red bank - system says 2GB 800 64 bit

Put in the second 2GB single channel stick - system says 4GB Dual Channel 800 128 bit ???

Put in the 2 1Gb Dual Channel sticks - System Say 6GB 667 Dual Channel 128 bit

Huh???? All of the sticks are 800's

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Comment

Yep, one stick single channel is 64bit. Two sticks dual channel makes 128bit. That's why it is always better to utilize your motherboard's designed memory architecture for optimum performance.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi Jazzman,

I don't know if this is the case with your mobo, but I have an MSI mobo that supports 8GB max, and when I populate it fully, BIOS shows 667 dual-channel during boot.

I asked about this on MSI forums, and they said that this is normal, at least for MSI mobos, and gave me some links:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=130043.0
                    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=120827.0

So maybe your mobo has the same situation. I kind of think that it's some kind of limitation of the onboard memory controllers on the AMD CPUs (I have an AMD X2 5200... almost the same as yours)...

Jim

Comment

Some motherboards do automatically downclock when operating maximum memory capacity. This is especially so with pre-built computers such as Dell, HP, etc. systems and laptops.

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X