• Show
Clear All

• Blue screen with 4 gigs F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Model of the motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM
    Model of the memory: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    Model of the CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6000+
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

What is the problem?

I had huge problems with drivers not installing when I installed windows 7 64 bit so I took out 2 gigs of ram and then it installed perfectly. I then updated the bios and put the ram back in. Now it runs fine for about about 5-10 minutes and then it gets a blue screen. When I take out 1gig of ram it runs fine but with 4 it crashes.

2 gigs are the 6400 ram that came with the PC and the 2 I added are the G-Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. It runs fine with either stick of G-skill in but not both at the same time so I think the ram is okay but settings might be off?

What should I do first? Thanks.

Can you post up your BIOS settings

Comment

How do I do that? My bios version is M2A-VM BIOS 2302 if that helps at all.

Comment

I checked the voltage for the ram and it is set to auto. I am not sure how to check the timings.

Comment

I don't think there is a way to check/change the ram timings on this board...is there another way to do it?

Comment

You should be able to by going into the BIOS go to the ADVANCED section, CHIPSET, then DRAM CONFIGURATION and set it to manual.

Start with the GSkill RAM in slots 1-2 (yellow ones) and boot it up , if okay then try with the older sticks added to slots 3-4

Comment

When you get to your timming settings here are the specs. they should.
              Brand G.SKILL
              Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
              Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
              Tech Spec
              Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
              Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
              Cas Latency 5
              Timing 5-5-5-15
              Voltage 1.8V - 2.0V
              If you want to post your bios. Take a pic and post it on Flickr and then copy and paste the link here.
              When you go to your CMOS you're going to have to change some of the settings to manual. That is the only way you're going to change any values. You're memory clock should be set to X4.00 to run @ 800mhz. Set the DDR2 voltage to 2.0V. You're going to have to go to DRAM Config. to change you're timmings. Which is above.5-5-5-15-2T. I wil check more on you're bios and post more when i get better info.

Comment

Ok. You need to go to the Jumpfree Config. That's where you can change your values. I am including a link for you to learn how to do this yourself. Let me know how this works for you.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                ( http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CAgQ9QEwAA )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck and don't over volt anything. Your ram should be @ 2.0V. Set the ram to X4.00. Check the DRAM config. and if the timmings don't match up to where they should be, then make it so.

Comment

I changed the voltage to 2.0 and the speed to 800. I will let you know how it turns out. I can't find any way to get to the timings though.

Comment

It hasn't crashed yet! It seems to be okay now. I can't thank you guys enough. I really appreciate it. I knew it was probably a simple fix I just didn't know what to do. Thanks again! I will let you know if anything changes!

Comment

I have the same problem and still can't get it to boot with all 4 sticks in. I've tried setting the memory timings like said and the same thing. I'm thinking one of my sticks is going bad.

Here's my specs:

Model of the motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX
                      Model of the memory: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
                      Model of the CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5600+
                      Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit/XP 32 bit

P.S. sorry for resurrecting an old post.

Comment

Test each stick with the rates specifications, and that will help you determine whether one stick may be defective. With 4 sticks installed, you will also need to raise NB Voltage to 1.40V.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          Test each stick with the rates specifications, and that will help you determine whether one stick may be defective. With 4 sticks installed, you will also need to raise NB Voltage to 1.40V.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          NB=North Bridge? I'll have to see if I can do that. If only one is defective can I RMA only that one or will I need to return all 4 like I bought them?

Comment

Working...
                          X