Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pi Black 800 and MSI P35 Platinum Combo issues

Hello,

I recently purchased two sets of Pi Black 800 ram for a total of 8gb. I tried to install the ram, however the system would not post. I then tried a single stick of the Pi and the same occurred. I have tried resetting the CMOS as well as setting the timings and voltage manually, however neither had any effect. I put back in the old ram (four sticks of kingston 800 for a total of 4gb) and the computer ran with no issue.

I am not sure I am running the latest BIOS (v1.3) and I have yet to try each stick of Pi individually to test for a bad stick. Besides this is there anything else I could try to make the ram work?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    DBR

You'll definitely need to test each to see if it is a bad module causing problems.

The RAM should be able to boot up and allow you to configure settings in BIOS.

Comment

Thanks, I'll definitely do that.

I've tried re-setting the BIOS with one stick in and I can configure the settings. I set the voltage at 1.9 and the timings at 4-4-4-12, however the system would not boot after saving the settings. I've only tried to do this with a single stick so far, but it seems like a bad stick may be the issue.

Comment

Try 2.0V

See if one module performs differently.

Also, send pictures if you can so we can verify all settings.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, I tested all the sticks one by one using three original sticks and one of the new Pi sticks. Every stick tested ok. I have now worked up to running the computer with three of the new Pi sticks and one of the originals using default timings and default voltage of 1.8. When I try and put the fourth Pi stick in, the computer will boot normally to the loading windows screen and hang. I'm running bios revision 1.1, Win 7 64-bit, and all of the original RAM is generic Kingston 1gb sticks. Sorry I haven't taken any pictures, but I can do so. What settings would you like pictures of?

Thanks
          DBR

Comment

Try boosting the NB Voltage or DRAM Voltage to see if that helps. You have the RAM set to DDR2-800 4-4-4-12?

Those settings should work fine.

For pictures, I just need to see CPU and memory settings pertaining to frequency, timings, clock values, etc. to see what's going on.

Comment

Working...
            X