Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B & Asus P5N-T Deluxe (8GB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B & Asus P5N-T Deluxe (8GB)

Running 8GB/1066/5-5-5-15 in an Asus P5N-T Deluxe motherboard using 2 sets of F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B. CPU is Intel QX9650 at stock.

This is what I've found so far (all other voltages on Auto):

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.36: Seemed to work for over a day, but then got a couple crashes and a driver bluescreen.

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.40: Got a couple crashes when launched a game just an hour after booting up.

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.44: No problems for 2.5 days, then got a hardware malfunction bluescreen during a game after a good while of playing.

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.48: Got a hardware malfunction bluescreen while encoding an avi file about a half hour after booting up.

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.48, HT=1.26: Hardware malfunction when Win7 startup sound played on bootup login screen.

- Mem=2.11, NB=1.50: System freeze while using Google Chrome just 15 minutes after booting up.

- Mem=2.15, NB=1.44: Bootup fine, Windows Mem Diag (standard, 2-pass) reported OK.

- Currently using Mem=2.15, NB=1.40, HT=1.26, VCore up a notch: No issues so far for last 1.5 days.

Since the key seems to be the increased Mem voltage, I lowered the NB to 1.40 to test more. I decided to raise the HT and VCore a bit just in case, only because they were the other main recommendations I could find (but may apply more to AMD processors).

There's just one thing of note that concerns me about the memory info, as shown in AIDA64. In the "Enhanced Performance Profile" it lists tRC 48 and tWR 13, but my bios sets tRC 32 and tWR 6. I can only assume the values in the profile are maximum compatibility settings? I hope these 2 settings are not an issue, since my bios settings can only go up to tRC 31 and tWR 7 (and 7 does not stick)! I included shots from AIDA64 to see if the timings are correct.

Anyway, that's my experience so far, thanks for reviewing.
    Last edited by Scree; 04-21-2013, 01:05 AM.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Looks like you are running two sets of the PIs, try with DRAM voltage at 2.12, NB 1.44, CR at 2T, Base timings the same, and raise the tRFC to 88 - give that a try

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Looks like you are running two sets of the PIs, try with DRAM voltage at 2.12, NB 1.44, CR at 2T, Base timings the same, and raise the tRFC to 88 - give that a try
      Thanks for the reply. I have the last bios they put up for this board, from a few years ago.

CR is default 2T already.

DRAM at 2.15 and NB at 1.40 is so far so good at this point. The DRAM setting has steps of .02 starting at 1.85, so I can set 2.11, 2.13, 2.15, etc. -- If I run into trouble again, I will try 2.13 (or leave 2.15) and set NB 1.44 (again), along with the tRFC 88.

So the other important timings are correct then? Such as the tRC and tWR?

Thanks again.
      Last edited by Scree; 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

You can experiment, but wanted to try and get in the immediate vicinity, tRFC is generally one of the biggies that throws things off.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          You can experiment, but wanted to try and get in the immediate vicinity, tRFC is generally one of the biggies that throws things off.
          Thanks, I will definitely keep tRFC in mind if my current settings give issue in the next few days.

Comment

Keep us updated

Tman

Comment

After 2 days 13 hours of going strong with Mem=2.15 and NB=1.40, I had a minor issue when I ran an app and it displayed a dialog about not being able to write memory or something (but it didn't crash or get stuck). So I now set Mem=2.15, NB=1.44, tRFC=88, everything else Auto. Hopefully I can finally get to 3+ days.

Comment

That should help, can even ease the tRFC up to 90

Tman

Comment

I started running into big trouble with my video encoder app, I kept getting a hardware malfunction bluescreen or system freeze after several minutes of encoding. I tested with tRFC 90, and even tried the MemSet utility to set tRC 48 and tWR 8 (since my bios can't), but still no luck.

What seems to be allowing it to work now is tRFC at 100, along with the dram at 2.15v and NB at 1.44v (others on auto). I know this may not really last, as it never seems to with my luck (lol), but after several fails in a row the extra high tRFC seems to be doing the trick so far.
                  Last edited by Scree; 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Sounds good, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Well, things were looking good with tRFC=100, dram=2.15v, and NB=1.44v (everything else Auto) until about 5 hours into a game I got a hardware malfunction bluescreen.

Since those settings gave the best results up to this point, I set tRFC=110 to test next. But before booting back to Windows, I booted MemTest86+ to make sure the ram was actually fine, and a full 1 pass had no errors (took just over 1 hour). So then I boot up into Windows, I'm on the desktop, and all I did was open Notepad and I got a hardware malfunction bluescreen! So I got to thinking, maybe the voltages are actually a tad too high rather than too low. Now I'm testing out tRFC=110, dram=2.11v, NB=1.40v (everything else Auto).

So far I'm having the best results with these settings. We'll see how it holds up, as it's been just about 2 days uptime as I write this.
                      Last edited by Scree; 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Sounding good

Tman

Comment

Well, I can't seem to get past 3 days uptime. Eventually I will run into a hardware malfunction bluescreen during a game after 1 to 5 hours.

My best success was using 1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.11v, tRFC=110, NB=1.4, rest Auto. Raising NB any higher just seems to shorten the working time.

So my conclusion is either the NB just can't take it, or the 2 settings shown in the EPP profile (tRC=48 and tWR=13) must be used as well. The problem is, I can't set those 2 settings that high. As mentioned in a previous post, tRC=48 can be set using the MemSet utility, but the highest I can get tWR to set with it is 8.

Question: Would using SPDTool be worth a shot to write those values to the modules?

Comment

Could try, keeping it in mind it would void your warranty

Tman

Comment

Yeh, not a good idea then, knowing my luck. It was "fun" experimenting with 1066, but I'll just have to got back to 800 again like many other folks end up doing.

So now running 800, 4-4-4-12, 2.01v, tWR=6 (fix for bios auto setting 5), and tRFC=100 (for safety). Keeping NB voltage on auto for now so doesn't have to run any hotter.

Comment

Working...
                              X