Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluescreen w/ F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX

Hi

Motherboard: Asus P4S8L (Pundit AB-P 2600)
    Memory: F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX
    CPU: Intel P4 2.4GHz/1M/533 SL88F

I upgraded my system to the mentioned memory and set the Bios to 400Mhz, CL2-3-2-5. After this the system won't boot anymore.

So I set the frequency to 333Mhz and the system started ok, but kept crashing after a few minutes with bluescreen. Same thing happens with all the settings set to Auto.

At the moment it's running ok with 333MHz and CL2-3-3-5. But it feels a bit slower than before the upgrade. Can the timing be improved?

The Mobo is jumpered to DDR voltage to standard 2.5V. I can change this to overvoltage. Didn't try it because the bloody manual doesn't say what "over" means!? Could this be the problem, as the voltage for the RAM should be 2.6-2.7V?

Thanks in advance
    Dan

Try increasing the voltage to the specified 2.6v-2.75v and that should solve the problem. Keep us posted on your progress.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

GSkill Tech
      , it appears he realizes that the voltage available is under your specs, and the way I read it is asking if you know or can find anything out on how to get the voltage up. He says it's jumpered and has an overvoltage option but has no idea what it may be, and is requesting help.

Dtmuller may well have read in other posts that you are in close contact with ASUS techs as you have said in the past and is perhaps hoping you can you youtr contacts to get them the required info.

In other words, if you had read the post, you may not have been so quick to provide an 'answer' that is of absolutely no help at all. It's post like this you made that turn people off on GSkill

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

He simply has not tried it yet because the mobo is jumpered to 2.5, and he clearly states that he can do it but has not just yet because he is not sure how much over he can go. Hence the reason why is final question is, "Could this be the problem, as the voltage for the RAM should be 2.6-2.7V?"

I'd appreciate it if the original creator of the thread tells me that I am not answering his question properly or am not very helpful, rather than a random member critiquing my posts. Or PM me if you have your own concerns regarding how I post, not in someone else's thread. We are all here to help each other out and everyone can speak for themselves. As far as I know, I do not see complaints about being unhelpful. Not everyone needs a complex answer and not everyone is a computer tech, this customer simply wanted to confirm to over-volt since it is not normal to him.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Ok, I jumpered my Mobo to Overvoltage, although I still have no clue how high the voltage is now exactly - well I assume more than 2.5V ;-)

However the system still won't boot when set to 400MHz!? But for the moment it seems to run stable with the timings CL2-3-2-5. Are these correct even when set to 333Mhz?

By the way, I don't mind running the system at 333MHz, just want to make sure I have set best possible timing and of course don't break anything with incorrect jumper settings...

Thanks
          Dan

Comment

Short update: after a few hours with the above settings (working on my unsaved tax forms ) the system crashed again with a bluescreen! The RAM heatspreader felt very hot btw.

Comment

Did a quick google on your board and it shows that you only support up to 333MHz so it makes sense that you can not boot with the bios set at 400MHz.

Model No Pundit AB-P2600
              CPU Support Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 2.8GHz+ Motherboard ASUS P4S8L Chipset SIS 651/962 FSB 533/400 MHz Graphics Integrated SiS 315 Graphics Chips 256-bit Memory Support 2 DDR PC2700/2100/1600 DDR SDRAM (2GB MAX)
              Front I/O 1 x 4-in-1 Card Reader
              (SM, MS, MMC, SD)
              1 x S/PDIF-In
              1 x S/PDIF-Out
              2 x IEEE 1394 (6pin, 4pin) 2 x USB 2.0
              1 x MIC-In
              1 x PCMCIA
              1 x Head Phone
              Rear I/O PS/2 KB/Mouse, MIC-In/Line-In/Line-Out
              2 x USB 2.0
              1 x RJ45(LAN)
              1 x DVI-Out 1 x S-Video
              1 x TV-out
              1 x VGA
              1 x Parallel
              1 x Serial
              Expansion Slot 2 PCI (v2.2)
              Audio On-Board AC '97
              USB USB 2.0
              LAN Integrated 10/100 Mbps
              Last edited by Wildman95gst; 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

GSkill, he said "Didn't try it because the bloody manual doesn't say what "over" means!?"

i.e. some mobos may give you possibilities, some may automatically jump it to a given amount which may exceed the rated specs for a given type of RAM.

I offer critiques because you often pop out glib answers that at time are not applicable and at times irresponsible, because it appears you haven't read the actual post. You at one point in particular told a poster that sets of RAM would work just fine, when there were post from 3 others seeking help with the same exact RAM and mobo and your couldn't help any of them to get their setup to run

You have also made numerous posts blaming weak controllers on mobos which has been erroneous, it was how the chipset had been integrated to the board, the same exact chipset in better boards was fine, there are numerous other instances.

Answers should not be made as factual when in fact they are provided as a general assumption
                Last edited by Tradesman; 06-13-2009, 07:03 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Did a quick google on your board and it shows that you only support up to 333MHz so it makes sense that you can not boot with the bios set at 400MHz.
                  That's right, it says it in the manual but I don't know why the Bios then gives the option?! I assumed that I got 400MHz support through some Bios update. So what would be the proper timings for 333MHz, I guess this differs to the settings for 4000MHz?

Didn't try it because the bloody manual doesn't say what "over" means!?

i.e. some mobos may give you possibilities, some may automatically jump it to a given amount which may exceed the rated specs for a given type of RAM.
                  Ok, so I can't tell whether it's save to set the jumper? A brilliant job from Asus labeling jumper positions with "2.5V" and "don't stick it here"...

Comment

2.0-3-2-5 should work at 333MHz for DDR400 ram. I would try one stick at a time and see if that works it could be to much for your memory controller with both 1gb sticks. You might have to loosen the timing up some more, try 2.5-3-3-6.

Comment

Working...
                    X