Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX issues

Hello

i bought a 2gb kit (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) from newegg, i used their Memory Configurator and this Ram showed as being compatable with my motherboard

I own a HP D530 SFF, it has a i865 chipset in it, Supports up to 4gb Ram, Supports PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 in dual channel mode.

stock the system had a P4 2.8ghz 533mhz FSB northwood CPU, 2x 256mb PC2700 in dual channel mode. i wanted a little bit of a performance boost so i bought a P4 3.2ghz 800mhz FSB Northwood, so i had to buy a set of PC3200 to be able to see the boost. The first time i bought a 2gb kit of no name Ebay special crap, it did run as PC3200 but it had allot of errors (using memtest and another memory tester program) and the CPU with the generic Ram ran allot slower then the stock CPU and Ram. I did see warnings in sandra and the memory test programs that the Memory chip bus was slow (probably the SPD info was redone to force the ram to run at PC3200 speeds). so i chalked that up to bad luck and went to Newegg like i should have and bought a good brand of Fast Ram (GSKILL).

but the GSKILL Ram is seen as PC2700 and gets downclocked cause of it with the newer CPU. the Ram works really well with the stock CPU. but that is not what i bought it for

i am thinking the Ram is running to tight of a Timing set for the mobo to use and gets forced to run as PC2700. in BIOS there is no way for me to set any memory options due to HP hiding most of the advanced BIOS settings. so the memory voltage is stuck at 2.5v

i looked at the SPD info using CPU-Z and it shows correct as being PC3200 (400mhz) and shows the timings correctly but the system sees and uses it as PC2700

would there be any way for the SPD to be reconfigured to be able to slow down the Rams timings so that it will work with my Systems 2.5v memory constraint and work as PC3200

Thanks in advance
    Frank
    Last edited by madmax_2069; 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM.

i am thinking that the SPD info in the Ram is set to tight and the system only outputs 2.5v that the system is still trying to use the timings but sets the speed to PC2700 to be able to use the timings with 2.5v

I think 2-3-3-5 would work at 2.5v at PC3200 speeds.

but since its a HP i cant change any memory settings in BIOS. the only way to get this done is to have the SPD settings changed (i think)

my BIOS is upto date, and the microcode is also upto date (which only effects the CPU)

i use the system infomation in the BIOS to see what the Ram is seen as (its seen as PC2700 333mhz), and use CPU-Z and SPDtool to see what the SPD is set to (which shows PC3200 400mhz)

Comment

if we write tight timing in SPD value, it may make motherboard not boot
      and what's in SPD should be DDR 400, so it's weird to run at DDR 333 on this board
      is there any options to change DRAM frequency?
      if so, please set it manually to DDR 400

G.S

Comment

there is no memory options in BIOS what so ever. since this is a HP mobo (looks like a variant of a ASUS mobo made for HP) all of those options are hidden and cant be changed

would making the timings looser in the SPD help any.

cause with the generic no name Ebay Special Ram DDR 400 it gets seen and ran as PC3200 with the new CPU, The generic Ram scales back to PC2700 when i put the stock CPU back in without issue. but the generic Ram is so out of spec i get allot of errors and get low Chip bus warnings, this is the reason i bought the GSKILL.

but this GSKILL gets seen as PC2700 with the new CPU, and yes the newer CPU has a 800mhz FSB and the system does use it, but since this ram is being seen and ran as PC2700 the memory gets downclocked (to 154mhz from 166mhz) with the newer CPU. it works just fine with the stock CPU, and runs the timings at 2-2-2-5 at 2.5v, but with the New CPU the timings are 2-3-2-5 like they should be but the Ram dont run at the DDR 400 and is seen as DDR 333.

the only thing i can think of is since this GSKILL Ram requires a higher voltage then this mobo can put out (cause you cant change any memory settings in BIOS) that the mobo is forcing the PC2700 speeds so that it can run the timings in the SPD at 2.5v.

Yes its weird that the SPD settings in the ram show as PC3200 (400mhz) and there is no settings for PC2700, the only settings are for PC3200. on most ram there is 3 differant settings. this has only one, what i am going to do is compair the other DDR3200

as you can see the GSKILL SPD shows as PC3200 400mhz
        http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...screenshot.jpg

here is a screenshot of the GSKILL in SPDtool
        http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...screenshot.jpg
        Last edited by madmax_2069; 11-06-2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

by rights this ram should not even allow the system to boot since it has such a tight timing. that is why i am thinking that by looening the timing to work on a 2.5v memory constraint that the ram could be seen as PC3200.

but the only way for me to do that is edit the SPD since i can not adjust the timing or voltage in BIOS since HP hid those settings.

i did see a bit of a boost with the stock CPU with this Ram vs the stock CPU and the generic ram, but i want to use my newer CPU with this ram to see a even bigger boost. but since the system seeing the Ram as PC2700 i cant use it with the newer CPU right now.

you dont know how bad i am fighting to keep from adjusting the SPD myself to get 2-3-3-5 or 2-3-3-6 to see if it will allow the Ram to be seen as PC3200. but doing that myself will void the warenty

the reason i think that this is the issue is cause maybe the mobo and BIOS dont have a way to set the memory at those timings when aet to PC3200 mode but can if its set to PC2700 so it forces the Ram to run at PC2700 speds to obtain the timings at 2.5v. maybe this is how the mobo works if it sees Ram that it cant set at those timings.

just a thought.
          Last edited by madmax_2069; 11-06-2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

i just reinstalled the newer CPU to take some screen shots of CPU-Z

here is CPU-Z showing the CPU
            http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...U-ZCPUinfo.jpg

here is CPU-Z showing the memory
            http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...memoryinfo.jpg

and here is CPU-Z showing the SPD, both sticks show the same SPD.
            http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...U-ZSPDinfo.jpg

as you can see since the CPU is running at 800mhz FSB and the new Ram is only being ran as PC2700 the new Ram gets underclocked but the SPD shows the PC3200 settings. the system is almost hard to use like this

it also might be a possability the system likes to have Ram that has 2 or 3 speed settings in the SPD to choose from. i dont know, but i am almost at the point to have this Ram RMAed to get it fixed or get another set of looser timed Ram.

Comment

it should be motherboard that can't run CL2 at DDR 400
              so, in order to run CL2 in priority, it would downgrade to run DDR 333
              you may change it to DDR 400 CL2.5 or CL3 product
              thanks

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                it should be motherboard that can't run CL2 at DDR 400
                so, in order to run CL2 in priority, it would downgrade to run DDR 333
                you may change it to DDR 400 CL2.5 or CL3 product
                thanks

G.S
                in order for me to do that i have to change the SPD, and doing that will void my warenty, or are you saying that if i change the SPD that it wont void my warenty.

or am i miss understanding you. or are you telling me to send it back to get a replacement with looser timings

Frank
                Last edited by madmax_2069; 11-07-2008, 05:03 AM.

Comment

any damage caused by changing SPD value yourself would void warranty

what I mean is the timing of ZX is too tight for your motherboard to work with, 'coz it seemed your motherboard can't run at DDR 400 CL2
                  you'll have to change to another DDR 400 standard product for your pc to run at DDR 400
                  thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
                  X