Announcement

Collapse

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: G.Skill Forum

Hello Everyone

The G.Skill Technical forum will be under construction during the month of February. There may be random down time, so we sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation during this time. We are excited to bring you a more interactive forum to share information. For any technical assistance or issue that may require more attention, please contact us directly via other methods such as email, telephone, social media, NewEgg Chat, and more. Support is available through any avenue you can reach us.

ustech@gskillusa.com
techsupport@gskill.com

We hope for a quick and smooth transition

Thank you for your understanding

GSKILL SUPPORT
See more
See less

AsRock X79 Extreme 6 memory compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock X79 Extreme 6 memory compatibility

It seems that ASRock no longer update their memory QVL listing. See http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%2...e6/?cat=Memory

I have an ASRock X79 Extreme 6 mobo. With an i7 3790k (mostly at 4.2GHz).

At the moment I have 16gb: f3-17000cl9q-16gbzh (GSkill - 4x4gb). It had good reviews.

I do video editing. Now at just 1080p. Down the road I want to start with 4K. I figure one of the things I should do is get more ram - to help with processing larger files.

So I'm thinking of going for 32GB. The QVL for memory for the ASRock mobo lists only one ram kit for 2400: GSkill F3-2400C10Q-32GTX. When I contacted GSkill they said:

"We cannot guarantee the compatibility for 2400MHz, please kindly consider about 2133MHz memory kit.

Best Regards

Tech Support Team
    F.A.E
    G.SKILL international"
    - even though that ram is on their QVL.

So: Question 1. - Why not use 2400 ram on ASRock X79 Extreme 6? What sort of problems could I get? How could I overcome them?

Next I was looking at getting 32GB of 2133.
    I can buy another 16GB of the same f3-17000cl9q-16gbzh from Amazon for $210aud. (The original lot cost me $159aud 3 years ago.) Then I'd have to hope I could get the new kit to work well with the old kit.
    Or I can buy a 32GB (8x4gb) kit of f3-17000cl9q-16gbzh from Newegg for $270. And try to sell the current 16GB.

Question 2. If I can't get/shouldn't use a 32GB kit of 2400, which is the best way to go? - another 16GB kit or a new 32GB kit? With adding another 16GB kit - What sort of problems could I get? How could I overcome them?
    Last edited by i7Baby; 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM.

You can use the 2400 kit but may not reach the full specs.

Buy a 32GB kit rather than having to worry about matching multiple kits and potential strange problems.

Get a 32GB kit at all costs. There is no overcoming other than running at a lower frequency, but some times they can't work at all so it is just unwanted trouble.
    Are you an overclocker? Have screen shots of your OC results? Please post and share your OC experience!

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Comment

asrock x79 extreme 6, compatibility

Thanks for your input. I thought that might be the direction to go. But having an affirmation really helps.

If I buy a new 32GB then I'm open to suggestions as to specifically which. When I put my mobo into the GSkill configurator, it only lists one 4 x 4gb CAS11 2133 kit.

Is there other ram that should OK? Any tested as OK but not listed from the configurator?

Can I use 4 x 8GB? or just 8 x 4GB?

It's hard to find locally (Australia). I might have to buy from Amazon or Newegg (if they ship to me).

Edit: From a check of PartPicker - 2133 cl 9 GSkill:
      Ripjaws Z F3-2133C9Q-32GZH,
      Ripjaws X F3-2133C9Q-32GXH,
      Trident X F3-2133C9Q-32GTX
      Last edited by i7Baby; 05-04-2016, 02:41 PM. Reason: add partpicker info

Comment

RipJaws Z is designed for X79

Any of the kits you mentioned can work
        Are you an overclocker? Have screen shots of your OC results? Please post and share your OC experience!

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Comment

Thanks again

The Tridents seem to be the best price - $246aud through Newegg. The others are over $300aud.

Comment

Working...
          X