help pls... overclocking F3-2133C11D-16GXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help pls... overclocking F3-2133C11D-16GXL

so i just built a new gaming rig with the above gskill ram on an asus rog z87 gene vi mb and 4790k cpu running @ 4.6 w/ 1.25v and ram set @xmp profile 1 running @ 2133 11-13-13-31 w/ 1.5v.

cpu is currently being air cooled by be quiet! dark rock pro 3 with 6 120mm fans cooling everything else in a micro atx case

above settings has been stress tested using aida64 and prime95 and running smoothly for over a month now.

as usual, my go to ram is gskill and just like before, it's been running great.

now, im planning to oc the ram and hope you guys can help me achieve cas 10 or better and at the same time retain my oc on my cpu.

i know where to adjust the timings in the bios and am looking for viable numbers/settings coming from you guys which i can try so please advise and thanks in advance.

cheers!
    Last edited by slamtaz; 01-21-2015, 09:22 AM.

Have you already tried raising the voltage and adjusting timings @ 2133?

Try 1.65V and 11-12-12 / 10-12-12 if both settings fail its probably not worth it, otherwise reduce the timings bit by bit and look how much voltage is really needed for your final setting afterwards. You CPU overclock shouldn't really be affected unless you raise the memory ratio a fair bit (that might result in a small vcore bump being needed).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

woot!!!

10-12-12 @ 1.65 worked. stress tested and passed. i attached aida64 benchmark numbers! tried to lower voltage to 1.6 and started to fail so i guess this is the sweet spot.

before: @11-13-13
      after: @10-12-12

i know it's not much but since this will be used as a gaming rig, every bit of performance increase ought to count.

THANKS EMISSARY!!!

AND AS USUAL, GSKILL ROCKS!!!

I have a question now... so please bear with me.

is it better to keep this @ 2133 10-12-12-31 or go for 2400 xx-xx-xx-xx (i.e. if you have recommended timings & voltages, that will be great)?

which do you guys think will be better over-all for my system? sorry, if im asking too much, i just want to max out the potential of any overclockable hardware in this rig and keep it air cooled. so thanks again in advance for indulging.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by slamtaz; 01-21-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

You can try many different settings and use the AIDA 64 benchmark test to see which performs the best for your system and your purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          You can try many different settings and use the AIDA 64 benchmark test to see which performs the best for your system and your purpose.
          can you provide 2 or 3 sample settings @ 2400 which i can try from the many different settings that you mentioned?

im not really familiar with ram overclocking and i was hoping to rely and start within a reasonable range of settings of this particular ram, coming from the experts in the field to facilitate the overclocking process, minimize trial & errors and hopefully tread in safe waters, so to speak.

hope it's not too much to ask for 2400 sample settings (i.e. if it's even possible for this ram kit without taking a performance hit), like the ones provided by emissary above re: lower cas timings, which worked out great!
          Last edited by slamtaz; 01-21-2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Try 11-13-13-31, max tRFC and keep in mind you might have to manually raise imc voltage.

Comment

Raise all timings by 1, then you can try to work down a number at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                Try 11-13-13-31, max tRFC and keep in mind you might have to manually raise imc voltage.
                didnt work at 11-13-13-31 so i raised everything by 1 at 12-14-14-32 which worked @ 1.65v.

as suggested also, i then lowered it one timing at a time until i got a stable and tested timing at 11-14-13-31.

overall, im very happy with this as it seems that performance improved by at least 10% across the board to as high as 15%

but wait! there's more, my cpu temp dropped by around 5c during stress testing. before, i easily hit 85c to 87c but now i barely hit 80c and usually hover below that during stress testing and still with air cooling.

below are screenshots.

so i guess, i will keep the ram timings at that, which should take care of cpu & ram oc and im left with the gpu oc as my next project.

tnx emissary!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by slamtaz; 01-24-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Bandwidth and latency looks alright to me for those settings.

Comment

hey that's a pretty nice gain comparing the old 2133 with the new 2400 !

good work

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      hey that's a pretty nice gain comparing the old 2133 with the new 2400 !

good work
                      it is!!! and for some reason, using the same stress tests and air cooling, my peak cpu temp went down by around 5c which is in itself is a very nice gain!!!

so, i kinda got 2 gains with this ram oc which is awesome
                      Last edited by slamtaz; 01-26-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X