OC 8120 Sabetooth & RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC 8120 Sabetooth & RAM?

Any suggestions for DDR# ram. Have a Asus Sabertooth 990 and a 8120. Planning to put on a Noctua NH14D cooler(which I THINK should clear most RAM) and try to OC into 3.9-4.2 area.
    It would be nice to be ready for the next era of CPU and RAM but I'm open. How much do I need? I was kind leaning toward the Samsung 2 X 4 1600DDR green RAM cause of it's ability to be pushed a bit but I guess I should stick to Gskill because it's their forum and I can also move up a bit on total RAM?
    Any suggestions on amount or total? Again, I'd like to kinda be able to kinda move into the future a little?
    See any glaring weakness in the build below?
    Thanks for your consideration! Please be nice this is my first post and I am turning 65 next month. Time for the younger generation! My first OC was a Pentium from 150mgtz to 187 with dolphin case fans, etc. Since then bought prepackaged systems. Nice and easy. Finally tired of limited options.
    I'll likely cross post on Overclockers.net or in DDR section here so be kind!so be kind!

Build:
    RAM:??? amount???
    CPU: 8120FX purchased(with Noctua NH-14D cooler?)
    MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX purchased(bought just in time to miss REV.2 methinks)
    Graphics: 6870AMD single purchased(might do a crossfire or move up to 6950)
    PS: Cooler Master RS 700 watt purchased (may need more if I crossfire and 8120?)
    Case: Cooler Master Scout Mid purchased
    SSD: Samsung 256 830 purchased
    HDD: WD SATA 3 2TB purchased
    DVD: Asus SATA purchased
    OS: Windows 8 Beta (the stock interface sucks big time!)

As far as amount, it really depends on what you do with your computer.

For gaming, you can still get away with 2x2GB RAM for most games, but 2x4GB is getting more popular.

For the FX platform I'd go with a 2133CL9 kit, either Ripjaws, Ares, or Snipers depending on what style you like. For the Sabertooth, I think the Snipers would look the best

There is nothing wrong with the Samsung 1600CL11 kit, but do remember that it is not guaranteed to overclock as high as you have seen many folks have done, and most of those users were intel users, and intel chips have a much easier time with memory in general. I haven't seen many AMD users with proof of a stable high frequency overclock on that particular Samsung kit.

Even with RAM spec'd at 2000+, it can be a real bear to find stable settings that actually work on an AMD platform. It literally took me several months of tweaking and testing, but with the help of MSI engineers and several beta BIOS, I am running my blue Ripjaws at DDR3-2000CL8 100% stable. FYI, I have been able to clock them over 2500, although unstable.

Good luck with whatever you get, and if you need some tuning tips, be sure to ask. And please do post your own overclocking experiences so that others can learn from your findings. The FX platform is still very new and we are all still learning.

extra large font for seniors
    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Originally posted by damric View Post

extra large font for seniors
      Thanks damric! Gotta run outside quick! Them damn skaterboarders are ruining my flowerbed and smoking those reefer cigarettes. When I was their age I had to walk 3 miles in the snow to get my weed!

Gotta check and see what will fit under the Noctua 14D..
      Last edited by FranklinS; 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

As usual Damric brings up good questions and raises good points, alot will depend on what all you do, for me the amount is fairly easy I generally always recommend a minimum of 8GB regardless (but I've always been a proponent of more DRAM is better, for an 8120 I suggest 1600 or up to 1866 sticks at 8GB and might look towards the ARES line of DRAM, which have a lower profile than the various Ripjaws Lines (original , X and Z), the Snipers and the Tridents

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X