No announcement yet.

AMD 4x4GB Mixed RAM Mission Impossible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 4x4GB Mixed RAM Mission Impossible?

I decided to throw another lower rated 2x4GB kit in with my already awesome kit that I had running at DDR3-2000CL8 1T 24/7.

So I'm mixing kits here.

Good kit is 2x4GB of RipjawsX DDR3=2133CL9 (mentioned above).

Weaker kit is 2x4GB of Snipers DDR3-1600CL9 that was collecting dust.

Failed to post at 2000CL8.

Seems good at 1667CL7 though

Will post more results if I can get it higher.

AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Keep us informed, adding the links to the performance guides is a nice touch

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I got a linpac error, so I lowered reference clock down to 244 from 250, bumped my cpu multi by .5 to compensate.

All gravy now at DDR3-1626 7-9-8-24-32 1T. Ran 6 hour Prime95 and seems solid.

I feel that I'm a noob at timings still. My strategy is to look at the various SPD and XMP tables, and mix and match from there, lowering if I can.

The question now is,

What the heck do I do with 16GB RAM?

Comment

Might start with a RamDisk

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I've heard of RAM Disks. Would I need to keep the PC on 24/7 to use it?

Comment

No, DataRam has a free version that you can build up to a 4 GB RAMDisk w/. Many redirect their browser temp/cache files to it, can also redirect other temp files, even load small apps on it. Does take a few minutes to save to disk when you shut down, then copies it back at startup

Tman

Comment

Ok I browsed some guides on making a RAM disk, and ended up installing a free program called IMdisk, which allows larger than 4GB RAM disks. The browser cache thing sounds awesome, and maybe I can fit a whole game ^^

I couldn't imagine if my computer got any faster I think it would implode the universe and mine isn't even that fast.

Comment

Speed is an addicting thing, always looking for more

Tman

Comment

16GB Mixed RAM at 1850MHZ on AMD!!!

Update:

Curiously, my Snipers DDR3-1600CL9's have a bit more headroom after all.

I loosened up timings a bit, and now I'm well over 1800MHZ on all 16GB of mixed RAM with descent CL9 1T timings.

Comment

That's one of the reasons the Snipers are my favorite line of sticks, OC very well and seem to work well with every chipset out there

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X