Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh...another newbie

Hi All,

I'm new here. I tried finding a solution in the stickies and other threads. I could find some info for similar boards and for similar ram but not what I need.

Model of the motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Model of the memory: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX

Model of the CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache

What is the problem?

I am only able to get 1600Mhz out of this Ram, it runs at 1333Mhz by default in the EFIS and using the auto setting I can get it up to 1600Mhz max but if I go any higher the board won't post and I have to use the memok button on the board to reset back to a default value of 1333Mhz.

I purchased it hoping to get 2400 however I don't want to start poking around with things I don't understand and damage or screw something. I also don't want to stress anything to the point I shorten its lifespan. I just want to get the most bang for the buck. According to some of the other sources I have found using the XMP Profiles will give better results then the auto, so using CPU-Z I got the following

So I was going to try the XMP-2400 settings. However when I go into the EFIS for the board to enter the manual settings some values like CAS Latency and RAS to CAS make perfect sense as to where they go. Others like tRAS and tRC I have absolutely NO IDEA where to put them.

I was hoping someone with the same board or experience with this EFIS can translate for me and tell me what to put where. Or give me step by step instructions or refer me to a walk through? Or maybe someone else has had the same issue and found some settings and can tell me where to pop them in.

I looked in the Asus MB manual but it was not much help. I tried on Google and YouTube but watching some of them and see in the builds they are not following what the manufacturers instructions leads me to believe they may not be trustworthy.

I figured it was better to come here and try to get advice from a trustworthy source. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Cheers,

Gazoo

Also I forgot to mention in Auto mode it gives the options all the way up to and including 2400Mhz it just won't post above 1600Mhz

Comment

Might try at 1866, the 8350 is rated/specced up to 1866 at 1 DIMM per channel, might be able to get to 2133 with a healthy OC of the CPU and a lot of DRAM and CPU/NB voltage - will be very, very hot.....their QVL is a waste of time, while it says 2400 sticks, yes they will work, but they only test at the mobos default which I believe is 1333....so yes they'll work...at 1333 or 1600 - extremely deceptive advertising

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So *if* I wanted to get 2400MhZ ram on this board is there something I can purchase that will be essentially plug and play OR is this as fast as I am going to get?

Comment

Set up a liquid nitrogen cooling and OC the heck out of the 8350 and it might get high enough to pull 2400 sticks..........Amd just recently released the what, 9590 or something that sells for like $900 + dollars, I haven't seen any reviews yet showing it able to run more than 2 sticks of 2133 and that is already OCed to 5 GHz

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I am about to share a little AMD noob timing trick that tends to work pretty well.

This trick can help alleviate some (not all) conflicts with the mobo/CPU platform not playing nice with the spd/xmp tables on the ram sticks (of any brand).

Manually testing every single timing can be tedious for expert overclockers and down right impossible for newbies with high end AMD rigs.

What can be done on many motherboards is "training" your ram by using lower frequency auto settings.

You might have heard about this method posted somewhere else on the internets.

How it works:

Set your base clock to 200 (or 100 for apu) frequency divider to something lower than your goal and all of your timings to auto. Example if going for 1600 MT/s and it's just not working due to timings (likely optimized for intel platform), try 1333 but with all auto. THEN SAVE AND RESTART COMPUTER. This should force the AMD compatible jedec timings (probably 9-9-9 or something very loose depending on CPU). Now bump that base clock up to 250 and see if your higher frequency setting works now (in this example you will be at ddr3-1600). Lower your hyper transport link, cpu, and cpu-nb multipliers as needed to keep stability when dialing up base clock.

This works for high frequency kits too, so say 2133 MT/s is going haywire on your fx CPU, try dropping down to 1600 with auto settings ( should be loose like 11, 11, 11...).

The beauty is that once you get that higher frequency up and running, you can then tighten down one timing at a time if you so desire.

And let's not forget that the AMD platform loves the juice! Voltage, voltage, everywhere!
            AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Working...
            X