Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + FX-8320 + F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL

Hello.

I've been having a hard time trying to get my ram stable on prime95 blend test at the xmp settings. I've came here in desperation to see if it is even possible to get at the advertised speeds.

my ram is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231468

I've ran memtest and it passed without error, although It showed a slower speed than what I have it set at.

Currently, the longest I've got it stable was 48 minutes with my current settings. (Was getting bsods, errors in prime after 1 minute until I upped the vcore)

My fx-8320 is stable on prime95 small fft for 9 hours @ 4.5 Ghz.

My cpu/nb frequency is at 2200 Mhz. HT link is at 2600 Mhz.
    None of my temps are getting too hot, and I'm on the latest bios version.

I suspect the motherboards "auto" settings are incorrect for the ram timings.

I uploaded my settings in the attached zip file. I've tried increasing the cpu/nb voltage, the nb voltage, dram voltage, all to no avail.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by xSneak; 03-01-2013, 03:20 AM.

I suspect the CPU can't handle 2133, these CPUs are rated up to 1866 with 1 DIMM per channel and many even have problems w/ 1866, I'd try at 1866 first and see if you can get stable at 1866, if so jot down all your settings for fallback and try 2133 adding .06 to DRAM voltage and 0.08 to CPU/NB voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Still doesn't want to work for me.

oh well. What timing would you recommend for 1866 Mhz?

Comment

With that combo, I'd start at 11-11-11-30, 1.6, 2N or 2T (may still require a + 0.08 or so on CPU/NB voltage) - then if stable can try tightening up to 10-10-10-30, if still stable could then prob drop DRAM voltage to 1.5-1.55

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried 1866 and 1600 with your timings and the jdecc ones on the memory - still no luck.

Do you think it could be that my mobo is incompatible with that specific ram kit? Mine isn't listed in the qvl.

I also tried adjusting the digi power setting for cpu/nb and dram, but nothing was gained.

Do I need correct settings for all the dram timing parameters in the bios?

Would manually setting the drive strength options for dram in the bios solve the problem?

I'll upload a picture of it.

I was trying to get my system stable before I start to use it completely, but I think I'm going to go to normal usage and see if any erros come up.

Comment

here are my settings from the bios.

I set the ram back to 2133 Mhz.

I'll run memtest while I sleep and see if it fails.

thanks for the help.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by xSneak; 03-01-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

May be in the timings/a BIOS bug or something they have the tRFC set to 300 and should prob be 120 to 160 or so....might try a change to that to 160 and see if that helps

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                May be in the timings/a BIOS bug or something they have the tRFC set to 300 and should prob be 120 to 160 or so....might try a change to that to 160 and see if that helps
                I'll do that.

I ran memtest 5.00 beta (detects my ram properly) and it did 13 passes, 0 errors in 10 hours (2140 Mhz).

I turned my cpu/nb voltage down to 1.28125 and it was stable for 58 minutes before giving me an error. I think my imc is just a weakling.

Comment

Not unusual for AMD IMCs to require 1.3 and even up to 1.4 for stability

Tman

Comment

I was having problems with stability playing games, and switched the ram to slots 1/3 on the motherboard. It still won't pass, and fails memtest now.

what should I do?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like 2-4 is the better slots and it needs the additional voltage in the CPU/NB...could try a tad more also to either the CPU and/or DRAM itself...or possibly try at 2000 or so

Tman

Comment

I'm testing it on memtest now on slots 2/4 (recommended in the manual) @ 1605 MHz, and will update on how it works.

I was getting game crashes in crysis 2, and total war shogun 2, along with failing the blend test on prime95. In crysis 2, it would freeze the game as soon as it loaded, or give me artifacts when I had the dram ref cycle set at 160 instead of 300. (2140Mhz, stock timings)

If it passes memtest, I'll try to play some games and see how it goes.
                        I have tried setting the cpu/nb at settings from 1.21-1.40V, NB up to 1.31V, and Dram up to 1.65, so I think I have exhausted those options.

Could it be that my motherboard is incompatible with the ram? (Not on qvl)

I ordered some 1866 Sniper ram, and a set of corsair (Going to make a server with 16Gigs of ram later), so we'll see how those run on my system.

What would it take to qualify for an rma?

Comment

Sounds like a Hoosier (coming from a Hoosier) , so in the US contact rma@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

I just want to update and say I've solved all my problems.

I actually needed to up my vcore to get the ram stable. I had a faulty network adapter that was giving me corrupt download files, and I had to turn off cool'n'quiet and ehanced c1e state to stop my computer from turning itself off when gaming.

I actually got the ram stable at 9-11-10-27 with 1.675V I'm really impressed with this ram now, since I got on sale for $35.

I guess every overclocking noob has to learn somehow.

Comment

Trial and error is often what it takes, you could prob build an identical rig and end up having many different settings to get stable on that from what you currently have

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X