M5A99FX + F3-17000CL9D...2133 No Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5A99FX + F3-17000CL9D...2133 No Go?

Hello GSkill gurus! Let me begin by saying I know just enough to be dangerous…and that’s it. I’ve had several sticks of GSkill over the last few years and have been happy overall.

My gear:
    MOBO: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD
    RAM: F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM (2x4GB)
    CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz
    PSU: Rosewill 850W

Problem is that if I try to run the GSkill at the advertised 2133MHz (or actually anything significantly above 1600), the machine will not post. I’ve fiddled with everything (see previous note about knowing enough to be dangerous) and it is currently running fine (and has been for about 6 months now). But I was wondering about getting the ram to run at 2133 on my setup (or ANY other suggested tweaks overall)? Info directly from my BIOS follows. Thanks for any tips.

VERY stable situation at present:
    Current CPU speed: 4.6 (only have 4 of 8 cores active—OC failed with all cores on)
    Current Memory Freq: 1680MHz
    Current NB Freq: 2310MHz
    Current HT Link: 2730MHz
    CPU Ratio: 21.5
    CPU Bus Freq: 210
    PCIE Freq: 100

DRAM Timings: 9-11-10-28
    DRAM CAS Latency: 9
    DRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 11
    DRAM RAS PRE Time: 10
    DRAM RAS ACT Time: 28
    DRAM READ to PRE Time: 6 (Auto)
    DRAM RAS to RAS Delay: 5 (Auto)
    DRAM Write to Read Delay: 6 (Auto)
    DRAM CAS Write Latency 8 (Auto)
    DRAM Write Recovery Time 12 (Auto)
    DRAM REF Cycle Time 300ns (Auto)
    DRAM ROW Cycle Time: 39 (Auto)
    DRAM Reda to Write Delay: CHA 6, CHB 7 (Auto)
    DRAM Write to Read Delay (DD): 3 (Auto)
    DRAM Write to Write Timing: 4 (Auto)
    DRAM Refresh Rate: Every 7.8ms (Auto)
    DRAM Command Rate: 1T (Auto)

DRAM Driving Control:
    DCT0 Information
    CKE drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    CS/ODT drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    ADDR/CMD drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    MEMCLK drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    DATA drive strength: 1x (Auto)
    DQS drive strength: 1x (Auto)
    Processor ODT: 60 ohms +/- 20%
    DCT1 Information:
    CKE drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    CS/ODT drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    ADDR/CMD drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    MEMCLK drive strength: 1.5x (Auto)
    Data drive strength: 1x (Auto)
    DQS drive strength: 1x (Auto)
    Processor ODT: 60 ohms +/- 20%

CPU & NB Voltage: Manual
    CPU Manual Voltage: 1.416V (1.400000)
    CPU/NB Manual Voltage: 1.250V (Auto)
    CPU VDDA Voltage: 2.513V (Auto)
    DRAM Voltage: 1.643V (Auto)
    NB Voltage 1.107V (Auto)
    NB HT Voltage: 1.207V (Auto)
    NB 1.8V Voltage: 1.800V (Auto)
    SB Voltage: 1.100V (Auto)

These CPUs are rated UP TO 1866, so I'd try starting there, first approach would be to make sure you have the latest BIOS, see if it has DOCP or EOCP profiles and try the 1866 profile, once it's in and set, boot, go back to BIOS and set the spec timings manually so they stay locked in. If no joy that way, then leave the base timings as is, ensure the DRAM voltage is 1.65, check and see what CPU host freq is (will want 233) can then raise memory multiplier to 8 for 1864 on the DRAM, would also raise CPU/NB voltage to 1.33 initially (may need a bit more than that, but it's a good place to start

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey, thanks for the specific tips regarding timings and voltages. Used the DOCP profile at 1866 like you suggested, locked in the timings, and the memory frequency is at 1959MHz. Will tweak more later per your suggestions. Thanks again for the quick and clear response.

Comment

Glad it helped, AMD can be tricky and is often hard to work with, but it looks like your on the right track, will have an eye for updates, Good Luck!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Same MOBO

I have the same mobo. Except I have an FX8350 and different GSkill memory. With Auto settings I would post at 1866 but not 2133. I didn't have to OC anything, I assume our mobo did it for me, but I did have to manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.65v and change the DRAM Command Rate: 1T (Auto) to 2T as well. Let everything else stay on Auto and fine tune after a successful POST. Hope it works for you

Comment

For those who want to try more AMD overclocking...

FYI - AMD's Overclocking Program (AOD), can make it easier to change BIOS settings and test them instead of booting to the BIOS each time. It also can provide system info. that the BIOS may not and on occasion allow adjustments the BIOS does not.

Here's the down load page.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa.../overview.aspx

Here's an overview of AOD and overclocking guide on how to make the proper changes on a FX CPU as well as other models.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AM...ning_Guide.pdf

That being said, the FX CPUs are only guaranteed to run (2) DIMMs @ 1866 MHz. but many times they will run (1) or (2) DIMMs above 2133 MHz. depending on your CPU IMC/BIOS/Mobo/RAM combo.

FWIW, not all PCs will run RAM at it's advertised frequency rating. That rating is what the RAM is capable of, but all of the other parameters need to be capable of the higher frequency for the PC to run without errors.

Comment

ahhh

Other than checking my fan speed and the bogus negative core temps on my CPU I must confess I've never used AOD I do know when I used a Bulldozer 8120 I could only get two sticks to run at 2133 and not all four but they would all run at 1866. With my Piledriver I can get all four running at 2133 with the methods stated in my previous post and the motherboard seems to do a mild OC on it's own when I set it any higher than 1600. I'm assuming they beefed up the memory controller on the Piledriver but don't quote me on that. Good luck
              Last edited by Gunite; 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

The MC may be a bit stronger than Bulldozer, but I think it's more they are getting the BIOS's up to speed more, especially in the advanced DRAM timings

Tman

Comment

The PD/Vishera model CPUs have a turbo mode and will OC depending on CPU temp/load. The GloFo 32nm process is pretty mature so the IMC might be slightly better?

The link below is the offical AMD APU/CPU DIMM supported frequency chart. Many folks are able to run (2) DIMMs higher, but (4) is a lot of challenge for the IMC as it was not designed to handle that qty. of RAM at 1866+ MHz.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...spx#controller

Comment

So...

So do you think I should back it down to 1600 or 1866 then, or go with it at 2133 if it's stable like it seems to be?
                    Attached Files

Comment

If stable, I'd say stay as is....might as well use what additional bandwidth is provided by the higher freq

Tman

Comment

If your system is Prime95 stable for 24 hours, then there is nothing wrong with running tha RAM at the higher frequency, but there isn't any significant system gains in doing so. As long as it's 100% stable either frequency will provide virtually the same system performance.

Comment

Working...
                        X