Tident X w/ Formula Z help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tident X w/ Formula Z help?

Somewhat novice OC'r here needing help installing some sick new ram. I'm running a FX8120 (8core @ 3.1) on the Crosshair V Formula-Z and need to be baby stepped to get the Trident-X 2400 OC ram running. The CPU is liquid cooled and I have an Antec 900w PSU so I should be ready to go. So far whenever I put the ram in, regardless of voltage settings and such, it (the board) responds with error code '50' (incompatible memory). I'm certain I'm missing something here.
    CPU: Zambezi FX8120 8 Core CPU (3.1GHz)(Liquid Cooled)
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (O.C. 840MHz, MC 1325MHz, +20%v)
    PSU: Antec 900w (SLI/Crossfire Cert.)
    Ram: Trident X hopeful (4GBx2 @ 2400)

Don't know what set of 2400 sticks you have and regardless of which set, you prob won't be pleased. The FX series of CPUs are native for 1333 DRAM and while AMD once touted them as 'Native' 1866, they have recanted and now advertise (though they keep it sort of buried) that the CPUs are capable of 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (they don't however state that the testing was done with 4GB sticks) so basically they are confident that you can run at 1866 with 8GB, which is about on par with what I've seen (have seen some get up to 16GB at 1866 and some hit 2133 with 8GB or less but thats about it - and that was with the 8150 (16GB 1866) and the 8350

See their chart here:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...encyguide.aspx

Again, not knowing what actual set you have, I'd suggest making sure you have the latest BIOS, then start with 1 or 2 sticks and try enabling DOCP/EOCP and trying at 1866 or even 2133 initially. Also to do either you may have to raise your CPU/NB voltage from what ever it sets, and also run the DRAM initially at 1.65. From there to try and run the sticks faster, will require an OC and more voltage to CPU/nb, CPU and DRAM

Let us know what set you have (pref model # or at least 2x2GB, 2x4GB, 2x8GB 4x4GB sticks or whatever), the 2400 Tridents are sweet (am running 32GB on my Z77) and can underclock with tight timings and little loss of performance)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It's the 'F3-2400C10D-8GTX, or basically 4GBx2Sticks Trident X. I'll give that a shot and let ya know how it works out

Comment

All right, with your set (8GB) think you may be able to hit 2133, ya never know keep us updated and call out if you need help

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the extended reply, I tried 'that' to no avail. I'm going to give it another shot. ATM I've overclocked my CPU to 3.8 from 3.1 and got a new liquid cooler. Should I be changing the RAM Timings to match the stick or just let the board adjust?

Comment

With your set and at 3.8 I think I'd try at 1866 initially at 9-11-11-31, 1.6 volts, CR at 2N or 2T and CPU/NB at 1.35. If that flies then try 8-10-10-30 or 8-11-10-30 with the rest the same

Tman

Comment

I'll give a shot in the morning, I set the NB freq. up to 2400MHz from 2200. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Comment

I'll be in and out all day, so I'll be looking

Tman

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm use the exact setup your talking about, just slaped her together.
                  AMD 8350
                  CM LIQUiD COOLING
                  ASUS crosshairs v formula-z
                  G skill (8gb x 2) 16gb total ddr3 24000 (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
                  HIS 7950 amd 3gb 382bt
                  SSD 500 gb Samsung 840

OC. So far my CPU is hitting around 4.7ghz.
                  OC. Video card 1100mhz, memory 1575mhz
                  OC. G skill memory is stable at 2135mhz!

The memory works fine with the CPU at factory clock settings I was getting 2400mhz out of the trident X
                  Haven benched score 2385 FPS. 91.5
                  Hope this helps
                  Last edited by alaskangrown; 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Can you post your BIOS settings to be of help to others

Tman

Comment

over clock tuner set to: D.O.C.P.
                      RAM O.C. PROFILE SET TO: DDR3 2400MHZ

CPU BUS FREQ : 235
                      MEMORY FREQ: DDR3-2192Mhz

enable extream tweak

Comment

Thanx for the info

Tman

Comment

ok sence yesterday i have been clocking and clocking and clocking and the best configuration, most power/reliability!

oc tuner: docp
                          ram oc profile: dimm 0 reference data

cpu bus freq: 235 =4.5ghz
                          memory frequancy: DDR3 2388

the ram oc profiles your looking for are at the bottom of the tab

Comment

Looking good!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X