Announcement

Collapse

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: G.Skill Forum

Hello Everyone

The G.Skill Technical forum will be under construction during the month of February. There may be random down time, so we sincerely appreciate your patience and cooperation during this time. We are excited to bring you a more interactive forum to share information. For any technical assistance or issue that may require more attention, please contact us directly via other methods such as email, telephone, social media, NewEgg Chat, and more. Support is available through any avenue you can reach us.

ustech@gskillusa.com
techsupport@gskill.com

We hope for a quick and smooth transition

Thank you for your understanding

GSKILL SUPPORT
See more
See less

First rebuild in awhile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First rebuild in awhile

So, I decided to go big with my tax returns this year and do a full rebuild, $1900 later and I'm STILL not done, admittedly, most of what I have left to do is vanity work, replacing the blue 120mm fans up top with orange 140mm fans, adding LED strips, third hard drive cage with 2 fans to pull more air over my GPU, high capacity drive for Steam, and a second 290 that I'll be picking up with my Christmas bonus this year.

But, uh, here's the stats on this monster

Case: Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 octo-core @4.2GHz (going to try and get more out of it)
    Heatsink: Phanteks PH-TC14_OR
    Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
    RAM: G-Skill Trident-X 16gb (4x4gb) @2354MHz 11-13-13-35 (might try and tighten those timings up a bit)
    GPU: MSI Gaming Series Radeon R9 290 4gb (plan on getting a second around Christmas)
    PSU: Antec HCP-1000 Platinum 1000w fully modular
    Storage: SanDisk Extreme II 240gb SSD, 2x Western Digital Caviar SE drives (160gb and 500gb) 1x Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5tb (plan on getting a 3tb WD Caviar Black as my Steam Drive)
    Monitor: 47" Samsung LED Smart TV 1920x1080 @ 60hz (Personally, I'd rather have a pair of big CRT's, but this thing was free, so I'll take it, I hate flat panel displays though)

I was actually debating between getting a 16gb kit of AMD Radeon gaming ram and the G-Skill kit I have now, decided to go with what I knew to be stable and reliable, in the third pic you can see how nicely the Trident-X sticks fit under my monster of a heatsink with the removable heat spreaders pulled off, awesome job there guys, also, your 2400MHz kit was only $15 more than AMD's 1866MHz kit, I figured if I was going all out I might as well have the fastest ram my board can support.

If these sticks OC as well as my first pair of G-Skill ram, a 2gb DDR-400 kit I had running at 550~MHz, I'm pretty sure you have a lifetime customer (that particular ram kit is still going strong, almost 5 years later, in my old K8 Athlon X2 SLI box that is now owned by a younger relative)
    Attached Files

Are these F3-2400C10Q-16GTX?

Then you should get away with DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 even on AM3. Also the CVF-Z is maybe the best board for four modules at high speed. Have you tried just enabling the kits XMP via D.O.C.P.?
    >> The official G.SKILL Memory Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)! << | [pictures] Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Indeed they are, I'll give it a try at lunch (leaving for work in about 15 minutes here)

Fiddling around in the new UEFI bios is a bit strange to me still (been mostly building old school K8 and K7 boxes until about 3 years ago when my first major rebuild happened)

Comment

Working...
      X