Spaceman's Son Of Skynet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaceman's Son Of Skynet

I'll have to get the background story for the name out of the way first. My dad built a pretty nice system about 2 years ago to the following specs:

AMD Phenom II 1090T HexCore
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X OCL 2GB DDR5
    GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL)
    WD Caviar Black 250 GB Boot & OS
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB data x2
    Gigabyte 890FXA-UD3
    AZZA Hurrican 2000 Case
    Corsair H60 Closed-loop liquid cooler
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W 80+ Gold Power Supply

Upon my roommate seeing it as Dad and I put it together he remarked "That f***ing thing should be called Skynet!" as it was the beefiest computer he'd ever seen (John never has been much for computers or gaming... true to form for and English/Latin major he spends far more time with his nose in books, lol.)

So naturally when I built my system about 8 months ago, of course John instantly dubbed it 'Son of Skynet' and it stuck.

My build:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
    AMD FX-8120 @3800Mhz
    GSkills Ripjaws Z DDR3 1866 32GB (4x8G) which unfortunately I can only run @ 1600...
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor X OCL 1GB DDR5
    AZZA Hurrican 2000 Case (really great case, wide open, plenty of expansion room, and tons of fans... I highly recommend them)
    LEPA 900W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply
    Corsair H80 liquid cooler

Originally I was going to upgrade the GPU and mobo next, and maybe move up to the AMD 12 core once they come out.. but I'm not sure anymore... I think I will be delaying until later in the year to see what comes of the next round of AMD boards and the AMD 12 core desktops... and I fear that after being a lifelong AMD user... I may have to go to the dark side...

The next build as it's shaping up in my head, which I'm thinking of calling The John Connor Special because it's sole purpose will be to utterly destroy my current build...

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5
    Core i7-3770K 3.5 Ghz
    GSkill Trident-X DDR3-2400 32GB (4x8G)
    2x Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD7950 3GB, 384Bit DDR5
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB Sata3 SSD (boot, games, and OS)
    2x WD Caviar Black 2 TB Sata6 HDD -RAID (data storage and backups)
    Corsair H110 Water Cooler
    LEPA 1000W 80+ Gold

I'll keep my AZZA case and gut it... I can already hear my wallet is already screaming "NO, NO, NO, NOOOO!!" haha. But it seems that AMD may no longer offer up the performance I'm looking for, so I guess it's worth the coin, and we're only young(er) once... may as well enjoy having toys for myself before I settle down and have kids, lol.
    My rig:

AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8 GHz
    32 GB G-Skills Ripjaws Z DDR3 - 1866
    Gigabyte 990FX-UD5
    Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X Eyefinity 3 @ 5760 x 1080 resolution
    3- LG 23" 23EA53V-P IPS monitors
    LEPA 900 W 80+ Gold certified
    Azza Hurrican 2000R tower
    Logitech G930 headset, G510 keyboard, 510 mouse

Appropriate name, should be a killer rig, if not a big rush, the Haswell CPUs and 1150 socket are due out about early June (2nd)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X