Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is 140 Degrees, too hot for a Video Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 140 Degrees, too hot for a Video Card?

Is 140 degrees Fahrenheit normal for a video card? I've got a Asus EAH5770 in an Antec Three Hundred case and today I played MW3 for 24 minutes and it shot up to that temperature, from 86 degrees Fahrenheit. It does this any time I play any game. I play all games on the highest settings possible. I don't overclock. It consistently stays at 86-91 degrees idle. So I'm not concerned about that. But 140 degrees Fahrenheit under load seems high to me. Although I will admit I've not gotten any errors out of the card, I'm worried that temps that high might lead to premature failure. I've had the computer for about 2 or so years.
    Last edited by Knoxville 6 Core; 03-30-2014, 08:34 PM.

What i normally do: Search around the web for reviews of that specific card and compare their measured idle and load temperatures to my own.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Depends on whic VGA do you have.

Nowadays alot of AMD VGAs are settled up to run at 95C, and my old VGA run this temps and has peaks of 118-120C, and has runned rock solid for 6 years (and still running).

Anyway is suposed that melting temp of IC are around 130 to 150C.

All in all people tned to keep things cooler, and assamblers improve their cooler to reduce temps.

Have you tried to reapply a good quality TIM like mx-4 to the GPU?

Comment

Sounds okay to me. Equals about 60 degrees celsius which is what most use to measure temperature with PC parts. My 6750 ran at around those temperatures.

Comment

Yeah, that's completely fine on a GPU. ..Idle temp is fine as well. I'd say with 60c under load, you have room to OC and it still be good.

My old 5870 would get considerably more hot, especially on the VRM. That was with an accelero TT Pro too.

Comment

Working...
          X