Memory upgrade from 8gb to 16gb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory upgrade from 8gb to 16gb

I need some assistance choosing my best option to go from 8 GB (2x4) dual channel to 16GB for an upgrade. I have this F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL and would like to know if It will likely work to add another set of them and still function as dual channel? if so, do I move the modules around to keep each pair on the same channel or opposite channels? I understand this may not be the best option, because it may or may not work, please inform me. I like the low CAS and do not know how much faster going to a 2133 set would be due to the increased cas up to 11 for most sets.

Also could I run this? F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL It would be a quad channel kit but function as as dual channel on my board (ASRock z77 Extreme 4, Z77 chipset) would it not? Any input anyone can give with there results would be appreciated and definitely if Tradesman can reply with assistance I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Patrick

These quad kits are called that, because they consist of four modules. It does not imply that the kit is only usable in quad channel setups. The amount of channels is based upon the architecture your using. For sandy bridge and ivy bridge it will still be dual channel, even if you use four modules.

I'd probably try getting a second matching piece of F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL. Although two (not necessarily different) kits are not guaranteed to be working together, matched kits have a decent success rate at it. If you're running into trouble you could still reduce memory speed to DDR3-1600 and/or manually tweak voltages/timings a bit.

Ch_A # Slot 1 -- Kit 1 # Module 1
    Ch_A # Slot 2 -- Kit 2 # Module 1
    Ch_B # Slot 1 -- Kit 1 # Module 2
    Ch_B # Slot 2 -- Kit 2 # Module 2
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

True, looking for best likelyhood

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Id like to keep the same timings. I have it set to the default timings for this kit at 1866 however, I do have them running at 1N rather than 2N. Truthfully id like to keep my timings tight, I always prefer speed and quality over quantity. Thus going to DDR 2133 would be nice, a CAS of 11 coming from 9 and going from 1N to 2N might be really a break even. I suppose if it doesn't work as desired I could return them and swap them for the 2133 quad set, which was my other question and I wanted to confirm that quad channel would work as dual, which I suspected.

Thank you! and feel free to add any other comments or recommendations.

-Patrick

Comment

Yes, a quad channel set would work fine as two dual channels. For memory, it is just a matter of whether the modules are matching to work in a single system.

High frequency like DDR3-2133+ can be useful if you plan to OC, but if not, it's not too big of a deal. Same with low latency, it doesn't get much lower than CL9 for extreme frequency, so around this range is very good.

If you plan to try another kit, make sure each kit is installed in the same color slots. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I will let you know

Administrator-

I will for sure let you know how it goes. I would like to preserve my CL of 9 with 1N vs 2N and timings. So I will try a second set of what was previously stated I believe. If it does not work as desired, I will understand and possibly just return it (since I have had great experience with you guys) and simply upgrade to the Quad-channel kit. Thank you and when I do order and receive it, ill likely post back, possibly for any help if I want to tweak the timings or voltage (if it doesn't work at the settings I have my current pair at) or if it works perfectly!

greatly appreciate your replys,

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
          X