Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between G.Skill RAM series

Hi,

I've looked around for information on the differences between G.Skill's RAM series but haven't been able to find anything solid and comprehensive for all of them. I understand that for the most part, the differences are small and that the main differences are how they are tuned to work with different platforms. I'm building two systems, one on Intel's Z77 platform and the other on Z87. I'm hoping to purchase the two sets that will have the best synergy and provide the best potential for overclocking on each platform. For the sake of my curiosity, could someone please answer my three questions below?

1. What platforms were the following series specifically made for (if any) and are any of the series of higher quality than others? Also, are there any platforms which they are not recommended to run on (Assuming DDR3 support of course).

Aegis
    Ares
    Ripjaws
    Ripjaws X
    Ripjaws Z
    Sniper
    Trident
    Trident X

2. Which series has the best synergy and overclocking potential with Intel's Z77 platform?

3. Which series has the best synergy and overclocking potential with Intel's Z87 platform?

Thank you very much for your time,

Will

Originally posted by WILLH View Post
    2. Which series has the best synergy and overclocking potential with Intel's Z77 platform?
    3. Which series has the best synergy and overclocking potential with Intel's Z87 platform?
    (Ignoring kits that are no longer available,) the best choice for overclocking would be the TridentX series
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      (Ignoring kits that are no longer available,) the best choice for overclocking would be the TridentX series
      Hi Emissary42,

Thanks for the reply. I notice that you mention "Ignoring kits that are no longer available". Does this include any of the ones I had listed? My local PC store still has every one but the non-X Trident series.

Comment

I doubt you would be finding any of the magic kits still available at any retailer.

F3-17066CL7D-4GBPIS
        F3-18400CL8D-4GBPIS
        F3-19200CL9D-4GBPIS
        F3-17000CL8D-4GBXMD
        F3-17600CL7D-4GBXHD

These are 2x2B kits with a very high bin of certain chips used regularly for extreme overclocking. I have been looking for some of them for a very long time and still had no luck yet (also prices are ridiculous^^).

Comment

Ah okay I understand what you meant now. No those specific ones are not available at my retailer either. I'll most likely go with a 2x4 Trident X 2133 or 2400 CL9 or C10 kit depending on what I can find. Thanks very much for your help!

Comment

TridentX F3-2400C9D-8GTXD is a very nice kit with OC-potencial for DDR3-2600/2666+ CL10.

Comment

Working...
            X