War Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Stories

I'm sure everyone here has built a rig, and run the thing as hard as possible and had it live for a while. I'd like for this to be a place to post about that rig and what it did/how long it did it...

Built 12-6-2007, RIP 8-20-2013

2x F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    Western Digital WD Blue 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard
    RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

Used the Video card on a friend's computer and scratched one of the leads off to the point it woudln't work, and had to replace but that was my fault. and the case fans on this thing died at a rate of about 1 every 15 months for its entire life I never replaced any of them, just unpluged them and let them soldier on. Finally the powersupply died in its sleep and took 24 pin connector on mobo with it. I still have the rest of the parts in a box since I have a similar computer still going strong that was built in 2009.

This computer played games sometimes for 7 days solid (running a bot on the good ole silkroad online, sometimes multiple clients for hours on end) moved with me 4 different times, and even survived a power surge that sent sparks flying out of the back of my monitor when a pole outside my house was hit by lightning. I would miss this thing, but damn my new one makes it seem outdated... wait it was nearly 5 years old and would still play anything i ever opened on it, so I guess i can't complain too much. Learned my lesson, never again will I run a powersupply that came with a case, and I will replace any case fans that die (figure the complete lack of fans for the last 18 months probably contributed to the power supply death)

Who else has a rig that wouldn't quit?
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Well, gimme a month or two and I'll revive my i3 build
    I'll try and make a faux-steambox out of it.

Comment

Working...
    X